1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Pulled out the fire extinguisher today!

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by bluefrier, Dec 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bluefrier

bluefrier Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Maryland
    Learned a good lesson today after ignoring some good advice from the members of hearth.com. I sealed my block-off plate with regular RTV silicone and today that
    $h*T caught fire when I got the stove up to 800* for the first time. This is a qoute from BrotherBart from my first thread on this site "Now about that silicone you sealed the liner with at the block-off plate. Keep an eye on it. The first time that liner gets up to eight hundred degrees on startup with a good load the silicone is going to vaporize. After the stink dies down, re-seal that spot with furnace cement. It won’t crap out until around 2,000 degrees. Using silicone to seal around /the edge of the plate was fine. That part won’t get that hot but the liner darn sure will". When the stove thermometer hit 800* the fireplace cavity was glowing bright orange and the stove room started to get smokey, had to get the darn fire extinguisher to put the flames out. What's the moral to this story?....Listen to the old heads around here. ;-)

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Brian VT

Brian VT Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Southern VT
    LMAO ! Glad it worked out ok.
  3. fossil

fossil Accidental Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Bend, OR
    How do you think Bart got to be as old as he is? ;-P Rick

(Very glad it turned out OK for ya! Be careful out there...it's FIRE!)
  4. RedRanger

RedRanger New Member

Loc:
    British Columbia
    Listen to some of the "young heads" as well.. Some of them are actually firefighters. They have been there, done it, and are also helping and contributing lots to this forum..
  5. karl

karl Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Huntington, West Virginia
    That's awesome. He called Bart old. lol
  6. bluefrier

bluefrier Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Maryland
    One good thing about this incident is that I might have a new record (70-800* in 30 minutes) flat. Who can top that :coolmad:
  7. Corey

Corey Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Midwest
    With such an accurate temperature and description of what would happen, you'd almost wonder if BB didn't have first hand experience with 'the wrong silicone' :)

70-800F in 30 minutes isn't too bad. Just get plenty of small, fast burning splits in there and it will light right off. I've never really thought about it before, but that is probably about where I run when coming home every day to a cold house and burning hard for a couple of hours to get max heat.
  8. Rockey

Rockey Minister of Fire

Loc:
    SW Ohio
    I think its awesome that Bart was right for once,

I know, I know, its one more than me.
  9. BrotherBart

BrotherBart Hearth.com LLC Mid-Atlantic Division Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    Actually no. I just did some research when I was deciding what to use for various parts of my installations. For temps over five or six hundred their is no such thing as "the right silicone". And the point where it vaporizes is pretty widely known.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.