Pulled the triger on a ms362

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kevin*

Burning Hunk
Nov 29, 2011
SNOHOMISH, WA
Well after reading reviews it was time ro get a bigger saw, went to the dealer and got a new one to aviod any stole stuff off Cl. The dealer here said he has an average of 3 people coming in every week to buy a saw to replace one that was stolen.
Now I need to go get some wood to cut!
20130213_183001_zps03637376.jpg

Let me be the first to congratulate you on a very fine purchase. You won't regret that ever. A C

Best firewood saw. Period.

Congratulations ! !

Let me guess the bar length.
PNW , Washington. I'll say 25", you have big wood there.

Nice.
If I were to buy new, 362 is top of the list :)

28" on it, I might get a smaller bar later, going to see how my back takes it. Mostly pine and alder around here, im lucky when I get a mapple.

Awesome purchase!
That will be my next saw purchase unless I find some other sweet deal.

I can't wait to hear how much you like it!

Brother in law in Kent. Golfed several of the courses during visits.
Most courses have some huge trees. Pine of some kind.
Some would challenge a 28".

28" should work well for the big stuff :)

Nice little puppy there Kevin, I have a 28" but I never thought of putting it on my 036/360............... I'm going to have to try that out some day! Enjoy that baby!

That's a beauty!! Love the 036/360/361/362 series saws... I run 16"-20" on my 036 PRO's, but the wood here is a lot harder and a little smaller.

Congrats on the purchase. Your gonna love that Beast !!!

Thanks guys, im goimg to scratch this itch this weekend, I will post some pics or a vid.

Thanks guys, im goimg to scratch this itch this weekend, I will post some pics or a vid.

Vid with audio please, I love to hear a new saw run. A C

Reactions: Boog
Interested in hearing the review. Debating between a MS192c-e with the back handle and a MS362 as my next saw purchase. Probably going to get the MS192 first and then the MS362 next year.

Interested in hearing the review. Debating between a MS192c-e with the back handle and a MS362 as my next saw purchase. Probably going to get the MS192 first and then the MS362 next year.
I was looking at that baby too, got to sell my other saw before I get a 192

I was looking at that baby too, got to sell my other saw before I get a 192

Yeah, your 180 pretty much fits the same niche as the 192. Just a little heavier, but I think it might have a little more power than the 192. Not sure on the power though. I know I was looking at the 170, 180, and 192 as a limbing/small stuff saw and decided on the 192.

28" on it, I might get a smaller bar later, going to see how my back takes it. Mostly pine and alder around here, im lucky when I get a mapple.

I love the west coast long bar on that saw, but...

A 360/361/362 will drive a 28 inch bar, but it will not oil it enough because the oil pump is not big enough. The 362 and 361 oil pump are the same and they can be swapped out with a 460 R model oil pump (same base pump), or two parts inside the pump can be swapped out to get it to lube a 28 inch bar. I have bought several 361s with 28 inch bars on them and in all cases the bars showed signs of heat stress (blued) from under-oiling.

Stock:
MS361/362 oil piston: 1135 647 0600
MS361/362 oil control bolt: 1128 647 4806
MS361/362 oil pump: 5.5 to 15cc/min at 10,500 rpm

Upgrade:
MS460R oil pump piston: 1128 647 0602
MS460R oil pump control bolt: 1128 647 4803
046/441/460R pump - 6 to 24cc/min at 10,500 rpm

With this upgrade you have to be careful to fill the oil tank every time you gas up, and sometimes it will run dry if you open up the oiler too much. Note that the standard 460 oil pump piston will pump 6 to 17cc/min at 10,500 rpm (the control bolt is the same as the 361/362).

Nice saw!

Thieves in your area actually post their stolen goods on CL with their information for the world to see?.......... including the real owner and law enforcement?

Nice saw!

Thieves in your area actually post their stolen goods on CL with their information for the world to see?.......... including the real owner and law enforcement?

Or, as I suspected in the case of my CL 460, removed the ID tag and advertised it as a "440"....................... real owner wouldn't be looking for that! My dealer checked the serial # with Stihl though and it at least had not been reported stolen to them..................

What did the area around the ID tag look like? If it wasn't all gouged and scratched in the area of the tag and it wasn't reported stolen to stihl, I would have asked a bunch of questions, written up a bill of sale, printed the craigslist article out and bought it (if the answers to the questions seemed legit)..

Nice Saw ! "GET TO WORK !!!"

You crazy PNW people. You have the best all purpose firewood saw on the market and you are putting a bar on it that throws the balance out of whack. Get a 18-20 bar on that sucker and enjoy the ergonomics it was designed around. (mummbmle...crazy people...mummblemumble...)>>

And as Stihlhead pointed out - it doesn't have enough oiler on it to support the 28" bar.

Love my 192 had it 3-4 yrs now .Use it more that I should .I call the 192 a top handle . Funny just before I came here I had a new 362 in my hands

guess this answers my question about the 362 as being "recommended"

Cheers

You crazy PNW people. You have the best all purpose firewood saw on the market and you are putting a bar on it that throws the balance out of whack. Get a 18-20 bar on that sucker and enjoy the ergonomics it was designed around. (mummbmle...crazy people...mummblemumble...)>>

And as Stihlhead pointed out - it doesn't have enough oiler on it to support the 28" bar.

Stihl web has 25''listed as upper range for the 362

Just had a 362 in my hands they wanted $719.95 with No perks . Will check other local dealer ,don't like him as well but he does give perks .chains ,oil

Also wondered as to a husky that size

Thoughts

see a 562 husky looks interesting Til I spotted The part about programing the saw with a computer ............. scares me

Status
Not open for further replies.