Pulled the trigger on a PE Summit today

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lillyrat

Dec 23, 2007
Central Indiana
Put money down on a PE Summit today to be installed in about 3 weeks. I have spent the last month searching this forum trying to decide which stove. There is so much good information on here it really helped make the decision easier. I currently have a Dutchwest extra large cat stove and used it all last year without the cat due to smoking up the house and backpuffing issues. I believe when the stove was setup it was not with the optimal installation. I have a 25 foot 8x11 tile chimney and I either pull to much draft when I opened her up or not enough when I would engage the cat which would lead to smoke entering the house. Did this for 3 years and finally got sick of fighting it. With the 30% tax credit it was now or never to get this done.
My choices came down to the Englander 30 and the Summit. I chose the summit due to the proximity of the stove to the seating arrangement in the living room. I got the fan to try and move the heat around a little better also. We have 22' ceilings with a ceiling fan and the heat goes straight up and heats the upstairs loft and bedrooms very well but we have trouble getting heat to the kitchen and bedrooms downstairs even though they are connected to the living room.
The chimney will also be getting a 6' liner which should allow me to control the draft a little better and should be able to turn down the stove without smoking up the house. I just hope I have enough wood because in the past I didn't burn 24/7 only about12/7 due to not trusting the Dutchwest stove and the smokey house issues when idling it down. Hopefully I will use about the same amount of wood with a better burning stove.

Welcome to the Hoosier PE Club!

You are now awesome. Officially.

You wont be disappointed. Don't be discouraged if you get some smoke at start up. I found their was a learning curve on how to avoid filling the house with smoke at start up. I know I am getting long burn times with the drafter on low and since wood is dry, next to no chimney build up. This stove puts out enough heat that I feel like I need a face shield to load the stove at times. Instant shave.

Status
Not open for further replies.