Pulled the trigger on a Thelin parlor 3000.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tubbster

Aug 12, 2008
Central NY
Without even seeing one! Hope it is what I need it to be, which is supplemental heating in a finished lower level in a raised ranch.
I used to heat (many moons ago) with a lazer 55 vented kero stove it maxed out at 2400 btu. I have a feeling that the parlor will be cruising at idle most of the time, I hope it is fine with that. Got sick of the kero, but loved the cozy temps downstairs, where I spend a majority of my time at home. I heat with natural gas, but as soon as the furnace kicks off, it starts to get cold downstairs.

I see a couple users here that *used* to heat with the same unit, makes me a little nervous. But from what I gather here, they are held in fairly high regard.
One of the selling points for me was the 28 watts of electricity, which is a bit pricey in these parts.

Plan on venting with Selkirk direct temp, if I can find an online supplier.

Gotta go find me some pellets now!

Anyway, thanks for a great forum, I probably will have plenty of questions later on...

Nice looking, nostalgic stove.....good luck w/ it. Make sure you do a review here after you've used it for awhile.

I will!
When I heated with the kero stove that maxed out at 24K btu, it worked great.
On low, about 10K btu, is where it stayed most of the time.
I had a stove salesman (not Thelin) tell me that running these things on low all the time caused problems. Is there a ring of truth to that statement?

tubbster said:
I had a stove salesman (not Thelin) tell me that running these things on low all the time caused problems. Is there a ring of truth to that statement?

Well, I am certainly no expert in this pellet stove field, but from what I've read here, running on low is the trickiest. You have to have everything set just right, and the stove kept clean, to keep it running on low for long periods of time.

If I'm way off base on that, I hope some of the "veterans" will chime in and set me straight.......

Nice Stove, can you look on the back label and see if there a MEA # for NYC.
Post some pictures. What color did you get?

BXpellet said:
Nice Stove, can you look on the back label and see if there a MEA # for NYC.
Post some pictures. What color did you get?

Like everyone else these days, I get to stand in line! I'll let you know when I can.

But, I am curious, what is an MEA#?

Getting the burgundy w/ nickel bands. If I could have seen one physically, I may have been tempted by the green.

Materiel Equipment acceptances it is like a UL number it shows that it has been tested and passed NYC requirements, all wood stoves, fireplace, gas stoves have to have this number.

We enjoyed our Thelin (Red with Nickel trim) and liked the thermostat option and operation on this stove. We hooked up a programmable thermostat and had the stove maintain 62 degrees during sleep and out of house hours, then kick up to 70 during waking and return from work hours. This feature allowed for greater conservation of pellets, and is a feature that is lacking on many stoves. The low wattage/power consumption also allows for long life during power outages if you use battery backup.

macman said:
tubbster said:

Well, I am certainly no expert in this pellet stove field, but from what I've read here, running on low is the trickiest. You have to have everything set just right, and the stove kept clean, to keep it running on low for long periods of time.

This was my experience ... I figured that this thing was just too much horsepower for my well-insulated little ranch. My old Thelin used to scoff at -15 temps ....

In the lower lever of a raised ranch should be great if you cold temps, as far as having hum along when its 40 degrees ... hmmmm, maybe a newer model can do that ... mine was >10 years old when I bought it 6 years ago.

I think most stove manufacturers recommend burning on high for at least a small period of time every day. With my hastings, this keeps the glass on the window clean and "seems" to work against clinker build up in the burn pot.
As a previous poster pointed out, you have to keep a close eye on all your settings, like air/fuel ratio. A slow lazy flame will definitely tend to cr@p up your stove in a short amount of time.

Well, the wind fell out of that sail.
I got some bad news at work, in for a rough ride, and had to cancel the order.
If/when things look peach again, I will try again!
Maybe a gnome next time however.
Bummed.

Status
Not open for further replies.