Pulled the trigger on firewood shed...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks good. DOnt want to be a buzz kill, but if those floor joists are only on 4' centers, they will sag under load of the wood.
I anticipate some settling, but no sagging.IF it sags, I will take decking off, lay in crushed rock and use pallets. I will also post any issues so others may avoid my experiance.

Figure it will sag even with 2x6 decking?
Yes. Especially spanning 4'. I have a feeling there will be more sag than settle. I hope I am wrong.
Also depends on what species and how wet the wood is.
Hopefully he keeps an eye on it and lets us know how it works out.

image.jpg image.jpg
Don't want to be a killjoy, but 1.5 cords loaded! SO much easier! Figure it will hold 5 cord. I'm liking it! I will be replacing the inside board with 4x4 ( found some).

Last edited by a moderator:
Is all that wood already seasoned? Or will it season with all the open sides? Looking to do something similar to season my wood and keep it organized

The wood was cut fall of 2013 and delivered May 2014. It's been sitting outside drying since. I have about 5 cords of this to put in the shed. Additionaly, I have another 4 cords dropped this past May 2015. This shed/rack although 24' in length and 80"+ avg in height, won't do it and I'm not interested in building another or adding on to. Before the pellet stove, I would burn 5 cords. Last winter I burned maybe 3. I did not stock up this year on pellets but with 70 bags or so, I will supplement with oil because of the $ (high price pellet/low oil cost).

So to your question, the rack design because it is lifted off the ground and well spaced between rows, should dry out my seasoned wood in time for burning. It was my goal to stack once and aid in the drying process as others have noted, 2 year wood is premium. I am in hopes of obtaining dry wood with this shed and leave it as much open as you see. I will say with the 1 bay now filled, it's impressive to look at!

Is all that wood already seasoned? Or will it season with all the open sides? Looking to do something similar to season my wood and keep it organized
Organized, easy to load, I refer to it as a drying rack - not really a shed.

Reactions: velvetfoot
Half filled... Got a little side lined with a hernia repair operation last Thursday! Wife has been loading for exercise and I just watch. I do feel a bit guilty but can't do much for a week or so.

image.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Jeffm1 and oak4life
A shed, lotta work

Wood, a lotta work

Somebody else loading the shed, priceless.

Reactions: Jan Pijpelink
Half filled... Got a little side lined with a hernia repair operation last Thursday! Wife has been loading for exercise and I just watch. I do feel a bit guilty but can't do much for a week or so.

Take your time on physical activity so you don't make the healing period longer...

Very nice shed!

But did you use nails or screws on the joist hangers????
Used a screw to hold the bracket steady and used 8p to nail in. Also toe nailed rafters to header with 8p.

Joist hangers should be done with hanger nails. They are 16d diameter but short enough not to go too deep and come out the other side. They are far stronger than any screw that will go through the holes in the hangers.

For those following, what Oldman47 says... The screw(s) were just for holding in alignment for the nails. I also doubled the brackets and am not inclined to go 16d (went with what I had). But what is good about this post is that others can chime in and make better.

image55.jpg 5 cords of 2 year seasoned wood now under cover. Started open stacking 4 cords to the left on pallets. The chair by the way was hardly used.View attachment 160775

Last edited:
Reactions: Jeffm1
How`s the belly healing? Hope you are paying attention if you're body is telling you to rest...

PS: Stacked, drying wood is a thing of beauty :)

How`s the belly healing? Hope you are paying attention if you're body is telling you to rest...

PS: Stacked, drying wood is a thing of beauty :)
Feeling much better - thanks! Been 2 weeks, still have a bump but doing fine. The wife and daughter did most of the lifting and I "aided". I'll say, I have way too much wood at 9 cords. Great to have it on hand but will get down to 6 or 7 cords. 5 for the rack and 2 extra. I use to burn 5 cords but the pellet stove got it down to 3. This year, oil will take place of pellets.

Reactions: Lake Girl
Better shot. 3 more cord piled up out of view. Yup, I got wood!
image.jpg

Reactions: Jeffm1 and Lakeside
Well! ...put a bow on it...9 cords or so stacked. Burning OIL and WOOD this season. Pellets will take a back seat. Figure I will burn 3-5 cords.

image.jpg

Just did a MM test on the wood... Stacked in the rack (2 years old) is 15 to 22%. The 22% is oak. Outside stack from last May, is 27% average. Burn baby, burn!

Burning it...
image.jpg

Reactions: brhorgan
Just an update, have burned through 2 bays or about 3 cords. no sags and holding just fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.