Pulled the trigger on firewood shed...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Beautiful shed! I looking to build one. Did you use plans or just figure it out? I'm not much of a designer, I need directions. Stay warm and again great work!!

Reactions: Jeffm1
Your shed looks a lot like mine. We went with 24' long, 12' deep and pallets for a floor. I wound up using the 1st 2 bays for wood and the third for storage. I figure completely filled the 2 bay wood storage area will hold apprx. 5+ cords. That's more than I have ever burned in 1 season.
We just measured out the area, dug some holes and winged it. Into 4th year with. Decided to stain the rough cut pine sides and dress it up a bit with a 2 man saw on one wall and an old round gasoline sign on another wall. Wife planted a climbing rose on 3rd wall along with some other perrenials. In the summer it looks nice.

Reactions: baseroom and EPS
Your shed looks a lot like mine. We went with 24' long, 12' deep and pallets for a floor. I wound up using the 1st 2 bays for wood and the third for storage. I figure completely filled the 2 bay wood storage area will hold apprx. 5+ cords. That's more than I have ever burned in 1 season.
We just measured out the area, dug some holes and winged it. Into 4th year with. Decided to stain the rough cut pine sides and dress it up a bit with a 2 man saw on one wall and an old round gasoline sign on another wall. Wife planted a climbing rose on 3rd wall along with some other perrenials. In the summer it looks nice.

Would love to see a photograph!

We have a lean-to that came with the house that I use as a tool shed, but I am considering utilizing (at least part of) it for a woodshed. We bought our home as a foreclosure and there was a woodshed already on the property but it was one of the things that the previous owner left damaged (a tree fell on it and the roof was irreparable). I wish it were still standing!

Beauty! Built basically the same thing myself but added 2x6 cribbing around the outside. My wood is on landscape timbers on the ground. I'd be worried about supporting the weight on the structure. But the design is solid. Wish I had room for a third bay like yours! Well done.
View attachment 160025
how many cords can you fit in there?

Would love to see a photograph!

Well I looked and don't seem to have a photo of the completely finished shed, but here are 2 from early on.

Attachments

• DSC_0002.jpg
    DSC_0002.jpg
    184.6 KB · Views: 347
  • DSC_0005.jpg
    DSC_0005.jpg
    161.1 KB · Views: 313
The design was just looking at others online. I originally incorporated the raised floor to aid drying, but I found the height (1 foot off ground) much better on the back for loading/unloading. I may stain it his year and I like the idea of maybe a climbing vine on the ends. Speaking of drying, because I tightly packed the wood into the bays, I'm not sure I got much more than what I already had from the year or so it was outside drying. kept it from getting wet anyway.

image.jpeg Update...still holding strong! I rotate each season the cords not covered. Purchase 4 cords each year, stack, burn, rotate. I will say that once in the rack, there is little additional drying because it's stacked rather tight. but it's 2 years old by the time I have it in the rack.

You Sir are correct - award is in the mail. Bonus Question, what LPA brewed in VT is the sought after holy grail of all LPA's?
EASY ONE HEADY TOPPER!

Reactions: NHcpa
Status
Not open for further replies.