Pulled the trigger

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Good stuff! This your 1st foray into wood?

Excellent so this newer one should be a walk in the park. She is a big girl

The nice thing though is these things are expensive but they pay for themselves fast and provide years of enjoyment.

Reactions: Jerhurt
Looking forward to the enjoyment. I see you burn a summit JT. How important is "dry" wood with these stoves? I am behind on my wood and had to order some which has not arrived yet so I'm not sure what I'm going to have to burn.

Looking forward to the enjoyment. I see you burn a summit JT. How important is "dry" wood with these stoves? I am behind on my wood and had to order some which has not arrived yet so I'm not sure what I'm going to have to burn.

It's important. Did you order kiln-dried wood? If not, the wood you ordered will most likely not be dry. I recommend to be there during the delivery so you can check a few splits with a moisture meter. Split them in half and press the pins in the fresh surface. Should read below 20%, below 25% is burnable, anything above is still too wet. If you cannot get any dry wood, take a look at compressed wood logs like Envi-blocks or Bio-Bricks.

Reactions: JTRock
I am a noob with wood myself. I have to burn compressed wood products this year because I have 3 cord of not so seasoned.
Like everyone says seasoned is an absolute must. I have burned seasoned from a guy in town who sells mixed in the old $30 by the road deal. The stove has done quite well in test burns.

I am both fortunate and embarrassed at the same time because I am finding out that the Lopi pellet stove I have had for 6 years and just installed in my new house, turns out that the stove is going to be more than enough even though I thought it wouldn't cut it. So in actuality I don't have to burn wood at all this year just pellet. So my seasoning and learning curve will be favorable

Agree 100% with Grisu. And as he and others told me when I was desperate, in addition to the blocks/bricks (can mix with wood that's not quite ready to help it along, some even burn them as the primary fuel) you may find a source of pallets free for the taking, lumber mill ends, etc.

FYI seasoned wood has been very hard to find for months now, though some people are still getting lucky.

Congrats on the new stove!

Another congrats on your stove purchase! I bought the little brother (T-5) and thus far I'm very happy with it. Keep us posted on how things go with install/performance.

, in addition to the blocks/bricks (can mix with wood that's not quite ready to help it along, some even burn them as the primary fuel) you may find a source of pallets free for the taking, lumber mill ends, etc.
FYI seasoned wood has been very hard to find for months now, though some people are still getting luc

Just wanted to point out that burnging ecologs or whatever can void your warranty. My manual with my new stove says nothing but cord wood. I've seen the recommendation put forward in several posts and just wanted to mention that you may want to double check your manual and warranty.

Reactions: Silenced38
Congratulations! The T6 will burn less than ideal wood. I did this a couple seasons ago because I wanted to use up the wood and thought it had dried out quicker than it actually did. You will get notably shorter burns, more coaling, a dirtier flue and less heat. But it will heat. Mix it with dry wood or a good compressed wood product to help the burn and plan on cleaning the chimney more frequently, at least after each cord burned.

If possible, avoid buying oak or hickory for this season. Buy it now for the 2015-2016 season.

Just wanted to point out that burnging ecologs or whatever can void your warranty. My manual with my new stove says nothing but cord wood. I've seen the recommendation put forward in several posts and just wanted to mention that you may want to double check your manual and warranty.
My dealer burns compressed wood bricks in all of his stoves on a showroom floor. Sometime by the end of October president of Travis industries is scheduled to stop by. I am planing on going and asking him few questions. One of them will be his opinion on a compressed wood bricks.

Thanks for all the tips. This is the first year I have ever had to buy wood and it burns me to spend money on something I get for free.I don't see myself buying manufactured blocks of wood on top of the cord wood i already had to pay for. I have access to and the means of processing all my own wood but time is what I did not have this year. I am thinking that I will have a face cord at all times " drying" by my burning stove and try to muddle through the winter. My propane furnace works very well. I burn wood because I enjoy everything about it from being in the bush cutting to watching the wife stack it! LOL. Stacking is her job and believe it or not she likes it. Anyways I'm going to bring the stove home this weekend and get 'er in place.

Status
Not open for further replies.