Pulled the trigger

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

72Chevelle

Nov 17, 2014
10,000 Lakes
After several weeks of asking questions and researching which wood / pellet stove would be best to heat my 28'x30' shop, I found it fitting that an old tank of a stove was a match made in Heaven while working on my classic car in there!
I picked up a Nashua wood stove nfp-1. There didn't seem to be anything bad about it online, other then it takes some getting used to. But as a guy who never had a wood / pellet stove before, anything would be a learning curve. I paid $200 for it and it has a brand new blower on it. It is in very solid condition. Only thing I'm going to do to it is replace the seal around the door and replace a few fire bricks inside. No big deal.
I read about them putting dynamite inside of them and setting it off causing no damage. That's something that's built to last! It's been in the same house since new in 1978 and was used as a primary heat source until the second owners of the home decided not to want to stoke a fire all the time and went with gas heat.
I'm excited to get it going and hopefully it'll get this garage deep into the 40 degree temps.
It has a 6" outlet in the back for the chimney. For the rest of this winter, I was going to remove a door in the back of the shop, where there would be plenty of room surrounding the stove. I planned on putting up plywood to cover the door opening and plum the chimney thru there and up. Does this sound okay? It's just too cold to drill thru the siding and I'm afraid it'll crack, (it did last year installing an outside light around the same time / temp). Do I just keep it 6" thru the wall / door and up to the chimney cap? I want it to be as safe as can be until I set everything in permanently over the summer.
Thanks!

Reactions: Huntindog1
Keep 6" but you will need a proper insulated pipe thimble going through the wall. Must be class A chimney with 2" min. clearance as soon as it passes through the wall.

Status
Not open for further replies.