Pulled the Trigger

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ChillyGator

Feb 20, 2009
NorthFlorida
Just finalized my purchase of a Morso 7110 to be installed in front of exiting chimney. The wait paid off as the stove price was recently reduced by $460!
Stove, chimney pipe/cap, glass hearth pad (bought locally) and labor will set me back just under $3000. Hope to be able to use the Tax Credit also ($390 reduction). Plan on posting pictures when project is finished. Thanks to all for advise on project.

Bravo!

I put a stove partially into my existing FP a couple years ago. Bought it on July 1, got lucky they still had what I wanted on display. I did my own work and has in for $2K. You'll be in especially great shape with the tax credit.

look forward to seeing the pics!

I ended up cutting/splitting/stacking first, installing in August/September so I would have decent wood to burn.

ATB,
Mike P

Forgot to mention; I have five pickup truck loads of Oak (big blocks) that came from a co-workers backyard. They are stacked at my splitter site (sharing the splitter with two others) waiting a little more work. Also have access to some nice Hickory. The wood will be split and stacked this month, hopefully will be dry for the winter (should dry fast in the Florida summer). Looking forward to a warmer home and smaller gas bill!

ChillyGator said:
Forgot to mention; I have five pickup truck loads of Oak (big blocks) that came from a co-workers backyard. They are stacked at my splitter site (sharing the splitter with two others) waiting a little more work. Also have access to some nice Hickory. The wood will be split and stacked this month, hopefully will be dry for the winter (should dry fast in the Florida summer). Looking forward to a warmer home and smaller gas bill!
You might want to split that oak small if you want it to be ready for next season, oak can take a very long time to dry.

Didnt know Florida got that cold. Good luck with the stove.

Might want to do your break in fires outside before you install inside. It is smelly!

Also second what Wet1 said about seasoning oak. Check out 'The Wood Shed'. Many discussions on how to season wood and for how long depending on the species.

Monthly Averages for
Tallahassee, FL
Daily Averages Monthly Averages Compare Locations Table Display Graph Display

Monthly Avg High Avg Low Mean Avg Record High Record Low
Jan 64°F 40°F 52°F 83°F (1957) 6°F (1985)
Feb 67°F 42°F 55°F 89°F (1948) 2°F (1899)
Mar 74°F 48°F 61°F 91°F (2006) 20°F (1986)
Apr 80°F 53°F 66°F 95°F (1999) 29°F (1987)
Oct 81°F 57°F 69°F 95°F (1941) 30°F (1993)
Nov 73°F 48°F 60°F 88°F (1961) 13°F (1970)
Dec 66°F 42°F 54°F 84°F (1971) 10°F (1962)

January had 10 days of sub-freezing temperatures. February had 12 days of sub-freezing temperatures and the coldest low temperature in two decades (14 degrees, Feb. 5).

Install completed. excellent draft on first fire (75* outside afternoon, small inital fire). Full burn the next evening, was amazed at no smoke visible on both open burn and 1/2 throttle. Looking forward to a nice warm home on our bone chilling 43* rainy nights and mid 20's frosty mornings and very small LP bills.

Thanks for a great forum to get help from!

Attachments

• Upload 1.jpg
    Upload 1.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 552
  • Upload 3.jpg
    Upload 3.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 532
  • Upload 2.jpg
    Upload 2.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 526
I can't tell, it looks like there is something between the front legs of that stove and those beautiful wood floors, but not sure. If there is something, what is it?

ChillyGator said:
Monthly Averages for
Tallahassee, FL
Daily Averages Monthly Averages Compare Locations Table Display Graph Display

Monthly Avg High Avg Low Mean Avg Record High Record Low
Jan 64°F 40°F 52°F 83°F (1957) 6°F (1985)
Feb 67°F 42°F 55°F 89°F (1948) 2°F (1899)
Mar 74°F 48°F 61°F 91°F (2006) 20°F (1986)
Apr 80°F 53°F 66°F 95°F (1999) 29°F (1987)
Oct 81°F 57°F 69°F 95°F (1941) 30°F (1993)
Nov 73°F 48°F 60°F 88°F (1961) 13°F (1970)
Dec 66°F 42°F 54°F 84°F (1971) 10°F (1962)

January had 10 days of sub-freezing temperatures. February had 12 days of sub-freezing temperatures and the coldest low temperature in two decades (14 degrees, Feb. 5).

Don't tell me you live in Tallahassee and your a Gator fan? Isn't that Seminol territory?

That is a 3/8" Tempered glass floor protector under the stove (1" cement joint between brick hearth and wood floor that glass sits on).
Those are original 1930's Heart Pine floors from my great grandfather's sawmill.

I live near Tallahassee but this is still GATOR COUNTRY!

Keep an eye on the flooring under the glass. There is a lot of heat radiated downward from the glass on EPA non-cat stoves and some people have reported damage to their hardwood floors from the heat in front of the stove.

On the Morso, there is almost no heat radiated downward, in fact the space below mine is almost cool.

I can't say I have much good to say about your choice in Universities but I do like your choice in stoves. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.