Pulled this out of the brush today, not sure what it is

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

swagler85

Minister of Fire
Mar 4, 2012
NE Ohio
seansellsohio.com
Was clearing out more space for wood stacks and an across this. Pulled theses out and over to where I can work with them. They're dirty so will be using an old chain on these, but not sure what they are. Maybe maple? Also a few pine logs but those were too punky to mess with, just pushed those aside. image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    329.8 KB · Views: 179
hard to say exactly WHAT that is Swags, get a piece of it split and show us what she looks like inside. From the little bit of bark I see, it KINDA looks like it may be shagbark hickory or something, which is a GOOD thing. Either way, I totally agree on the 'old chain' proposition.....you'll probably be sharpening it once or twice with that job....

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
Need to get my grinder set up and sharpen a few chains. Havent dug it out since I moved a few weeks ago, been itching to cut some wood and dragging that stuff out satisfied the itch a little. And I made a lot more room for my stack, now just need to fill that space.

Reactions: ScotO
I think I'd push that stuff aside too.
Maybe a few cuts to get it to manageable size.
Looks like good wood for an outside smoldering fire to keep bugs away :)

I don't know but it looks like it could be compost. ;hm
But like Scotty sez, dig in and see what you find....

I don't know but it looks like it could be compost. ;hm
But like Scotty sez, dig in and see what you find....
If that's a hickory, there'll be some good wood in there. If nothing else, good for smoking food over the pit!::-)

Swamp ash for sure......or at least it looks like something from the swamp.

Finally got to pull the saw out on this stuff. Here's a few pics of rounds and splits, I'm thinking maple. Stuff is a little punky but not too bad. Will likely be used for the pit. Also had a big branch come down from my apple tree last night so will be adding some cooking wood as well. Rocked my chain after about 6 cuts, hollow spot in the log and found something hard in there. Killed the cutters real quick. Now back to sharpening!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    323.6 KB · Views: 122
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    299.8 KB · Views: 124
Reactions: ScotO and Plow Boy
Here's the apple

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    315.2 KB · Views: 125
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    368 KB · Views: 110
Ok I cut and split the log in the first 2 pics of the original post. Definately have two different species. The first logs I cut and split earlier were maple, probly silver. This stuff is much harder, darker and HEAVY! Splits easy too. Any guesses?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    309.6 KB · Views: 141
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    292.3 KB · Views: 126
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    283.9 KB · Views: 102
Ok I cut and split the log in the first 2 pics of the original post. Definately have two different species. The first logs I cut and split earlier were maple, probly silver. This stuff is much harder, darker and HEAVY! Splits easy too. Any guesses?
Well, it's gonna be heavy anyway from the water it absorbed being on the ground. It does look like some decent wood though....maybe some Hickory as Scotty suggested, or some hard Maple?

Really solid too

Reactions: Woody Stover
Status
Not open for further replies.