Pulling down the Dead Tree

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thewoodlands

Minister of Fire
Aug 25, 2009
In The Woods
In the two pictures you can see the chain hooked around the tree, pulled it down a certain distance then we had to move the chain and pull it down some more, we finally had to move the chain down toward the stump of the tree plus move the truck so we were pulling it from a different angle thats when it came down.

I lost the brakes on the truck after pulling it down and never took a final picture but it's down and that part of the road is safe to drive on.

zap

Attachments

• 100_1325.jpg
    100_1325.jpg
    115.1 KB · Views: 441
  • 100_1326.jpg
    100_1326.jpg
    112.1 KB · Views: 368
So what technique did you use to get the line up there?

gzecc said:
So what technique did you use to get the line up there?

I walked up then put the chain around it then pulled it down, it took three pulls two in the same direction then the third pulling from a different direction.

I should have made one pull fron the stump end that would have been the best way. The tree was more stable then I thought, I brought a six foot bar back in and pushed on it to give me a idea how safe it was plus there was a second maple preventing it from kicking out to the side I hooked the chain from, thats the big reason why I had to change the pulling direction.

zap

Did the loss of brakes in the truck have anything to do with pulling the tree down, or just a coincidence?

Wood Duck said:
Did the loss of brakes in the truck have anything to do with pulling the tree down, or just a coincidence?

I don't think it had anything to do with it but my wife drove it back in and the brakes were fine, we had some lines replaced before, better to go in the woods than on the road.

zap

just sounds like the fella didnt bleed all the air out of the lines/master cylinder properly.. ;-)

loon said:
just sounds like the fella didnt bleed all the air out of the lines/master cylinder properly.. ;-)

Had the truck hauled to the garage this morning, looks like a brake line went.

zap

zapny said:
loon said:

zap

coulda been worse eh %-P

got in the truck the other day and all i heard was "CLICK" "CLICK" :shut:

ended up being a wire on the starter rotted away %-P

back in action!!

good luck with your pain in the butt zap..

terry

loon said:
zapny said:
loon said:

zap

coulda been worse eh %-P

back in action!! good luck with your pain in the butt zap..

terry

After losing the brakes then getting the truck home then stacking the wood I went to start the truck, I also heard the click,click but I left the lights on that killed the battery so I pulled the hood release and that broke (scream) I finally pulled the hook out that holds the hood down then popped the hood up with a screw driver then charged the battery, what a day>

zap

zapny said:
loon said:
zapny said:
loon said:

zap

coulda been worse eh %-P

back in action!! good luck with your pain in the butt zap..

terry

After losing the brakes then getting the truck home then stacking the wood I went to start the truck, I also heard the click,click but I left the lights on that killed the battery so I pulled the hood release and that broke (scream) I finally pulled the hook out that holds the hood down then popped the hood up with a screw driver then charged the battery, what a day>

zap

anything that moves "WILL" break sometime :-S :)

Status
Not open for further replies.