Pulling out Jotul 550c to install block-off plate

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JJEGLBS

Oct 15, 2008
Illinois
We have a Jotul 550c insert, which was installed last year. We love it, but I am thinking we're letting too much heat go up the chimney since no block-off plate was installed. So, I plan on removing the bad boy this weekend (with help, of course) and installing a block-off plate. Thanks to this group, I think I have everything set to do the job. The one thing I am uncertain with is removing the insert. How do I protect the brick hearth when doing this? I was thinking maybe a piece of carpet or sheet metal on top. I plan to put the insert on a movers dolly so I can get it out of the way to work on the block-off plate.

Also, before I disconnect the liner, would it help to make a cardboard template so that I will know exactly where the liner comes down in order to place the hole exactly right on the block-off plate (will the liner mover much after I disconnect)?

Here is a picture of the set-up, if it helps (notice the cardboard box to the left -- Koawool ready to place on top of the block-off plate)

2009Oct16.jpg

Thanks.

We use a piece of aluminum sheet for insert install/removals...
Make it long enuff to cover the full depth of the hearth, wider than
the insert & long enuff to cover the facing of the hearth riser.
Bend it down where the hearth drops to the floor.
It will give you a spot to put your feet against it to keep it in
position when you slide the insert out & protect the front edge, as well...
We set em on a furniture dolly - with casters - to move em around after
they're out of the firebox.
When you're ready to install, the aluminum will, again, protect the front
edges of the brick & the bend will keep it from sliding into the firebox with the insert...
Good idea making the template BEFORE you pull the insert.

Great information. Thanks Daksy.

DAKSY said:
We use a piece of aluminum sheet for insert install/removals...
Make it long enuff to cover the full depth of the hearth, wider than
the insert & long enuff to cover the facing of the hearth riser.
Bend it down where the hearth drops to the floor.
It will give you a spot to put your feet against it to keep it in
position when you slide the insert out & protect the front edge, as well...
We set em on a furniture dolly - with casters - to move em around after
they're out of the firebox.
When you're ready to install, the aluminum will, again, protect the front
edges of the brick & the bend will keep it from sliding into the firebox with the insert...
Good idea making the template BEFORE you pull the insert.

Status
Not open for further replies.