1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Pulling the plug

Post in 'The Boiler Room - Wood Boilers and Furnaces' started by Nofossil, Nov 20, 2012.

1. Nofossil

Nofossil Moderator Emeritus

Loc:
    Addison County, Vermont
    On Sunday, I finally pulled the plug on the controller that I've been using since June of 2006. It's been amazing - never crashed, never failed in any way. Some stats:

First logged data: June 26, 2006 at 4:27 PM
    Last logged data: November 18, 2012 at 1:38 PM
    Data records logged: 11,200,392
    Lines of controller C code: 2765

I've replaced it with a shiny new Version II 'NoFossil Control System' which is very nice, but I still hard a hard time pulling the plug. Must be a pretty hard-core geek to feel sentimental about a computer, but there you have it.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. sloeffle

sloeffle Member

Loc:
    Morrow County, Ohio
    Nofossil,

Did you write and compile the C code ?

Scott
  3. Fred61

Fred61 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Southeastern Vt.
    Whow Bill. When I saw your title line, I hesitated to open it. I was concerned I would be looking at a suicide note.
  4. stee6043

stee6043 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    West Michigan
    How much do you want for the used unit! Ha. Only kidding, I wouldn't know what to do with it. I can appreciate your sentiment, however.
  5. Nofossil

Loc:
    Addison County, Vermont
    Yes. Years ago, I released it all as open source. Shockingly, few people were interested in dealing with it at that level. I yielded to popular demand and built a new version, also open source, that became the 'NoFossil Control System'. Some folks here have built their own, and I built a couple batches for sale. There's some risk that it may come back to life, since I found a couple partners who are willing to build boxes.
  6. Donl

Donl Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Ontario
    The NFCS I built from Nofossil's plans is now in it's fourth year of operation. Never crashed or failed except for once when a heat sensor shorted out on my hot water tank and blew a small fuse. Poor soldering on my part.

It runs 7/24/365. In summer it is responsible for exercising my 8 circulators.

The documentation for the NFCS is first rate and I would recommend to anyone with just a bit of skill to make one for themselves. It's unfortunate that they are not now available to those who would like a pre-built one. I truly hope the NFCS will prevail because I truly feel it is a wonderful thing and I have yet to find anything that even comes close to doing what it is capable of doing.
  7. Nofossil

Loc:
    Addison County, Vermont
    Wow. Thanks, Donl - that's almost embarrassing.

We're working on a the next generation and may have an announcement early next year. I've ordered circuit boards for a batch of 20......
  8. Donl

Donl Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Ontario
    Sorry, not meant to embarrass. Just is that I have become attached to my NFCS much the same way as I have to my dog and horses. It's always there for me.

Have you created circuit boards for mounting all the rj connectors and voltage regulators? That would considerably reduce the hand wiring and probably allow a smaller foot print. Best of luck!
  9. Nofossil

Loc:
    Addison County, Vermont
    Yes - all the connectors are soldered onto interface boards. Almost no hand wiring. The variable speed drive amplifier (4-20ma) is now on the interface board instead of being in an external breakout. Pictures soon (I hope).
  10. brian89gp

brian89gp Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Kansas City
    I am still reading through your documentation, but could this possibly be used for a water chiller system?
  11. Nofossil

Loc:
    Addison County, Vermont
    Yes - this is a general purpose controller. We're drifting off-topic here - contact me directly. Thanks.....