Pulling the plug

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nofossil

Moderator Emeritus
On Sunday, I finally pulled the plug on the controller that I've been using since June of 2006. It's been amazing - never crashed, never failed in any way. Some stats:

First logged data: June 26, 2006 at 4:27 PM
Last logged data: November 18, 2012 at 1:38 PM
Data records logged: 11,200,392
Lines of controller C code: 2765

I've replaced it with a shiny new Version II 'NoFossil Control System' which is very nice, but I still hard a hard time pulling the plug. Must be a pretty hard-core geek to feel sentimental about a computer, but there you have it.

Nofossil,

Did you write and compile the C code ?

Scott

Whow Bill. When I saw your title line, I hesitated to open it. I was concerned I would be looking at a suicide note.

How much do you want for the used unit! Ha. Only kidding, I wouldn't know what to do with it. I can appreciate your sentiment, however.

Nofossil,

Did you write and compile the C code ?

Scott

Yes. Years ago, I released it all as open source. Shockingly, few people were interested in dealing with it at that level. I yielded to popular demand and built a new version, also open source, that became the 'NoFossil Control System'. Some folks here have built their own, and I built a couple batches for sale. There's some risk that it may come back to life, since I found a couple partners who are willing to build boxes.

The NFCS I built from Nofossil's plans is now in it's fourth year of operation. Never crashed or failed except for once when a heat sensor shorted out on my hot water tank and blew a small fuse. Poor soldering on my part.

It runs 7/24/365. In summer it is responsible for exercising my 8 circulators.

The documentation for the NFCS is first rate and I would recommend to anyone with just a bit of skill to make one for themselves. It's unfortunate that they are not now available to those who would like a pre-built one. I truly hope the NFCS will prevail because I truly feel it is a wonderful thing and I have yet to find anything that even comes close to doing what it is capable of doing.

Sorry, not meant to embarrass. Just is that I have become attached to my NFCS much the same way as I have to my dog and horses. It's always there for me.

Have you created circuit boards for mounting all the rj connectors and voltage regulators? That would considerably reduce the hand wiring and probably allow a smaller foot print. Best of luck!

Sorry, not meant to embarrass. Just is that I have become attached to my NFCS much the same way as I have to my dog and horses. It's always there for me.

Have you created circuit boards for mounting all the rj connectors and voltage regulators? That would considerably reduce the hand wiring and probably allow a smaller foot print. Best of luck!
Yes - all the connectors are soldered onto interface boards. Almost no hand wiring. The variable speed drive amplifier (4-20ma) is now on the interface board instead of being in an external breakout. Pictures soon (I hope).

I am still reading through your documentation, but could this possibly be used for a water chiller system?

I am still reading through your documentation, but could this possibly be used for a water chiller system?
Yes - this is a general purpose controller. We're drifting off-topic here - contact me directly. Thanks.....

Status
Not open for further replies.