Pulling the trigger on a M55

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tenpounder

Sep 26, 2012
Upstate, NY
So with great advice from the generous people of the Mill I've decided to pull the trigger on an M55. Question though..... Has anyone run an OAK up a chimney? Does anyone manufacture piping for such and application?
My house is fairly tight. I'm replacing an existing free standing wood stove. From the hole in my hearth to the top of the chimney is 20-22 feet high.

Thanks

Reactions: roadrunnermoore
Congrats, I think you'll be pleased with it. There are several members that have these multifuel units installed to offer tips and advice. Please post some pictures once installed so we can drool! :cool:

You can get some flex pipe from the auto parts stores. You can add a short vent piece of pipe and a standard vent cap over it. You will probably need to fab a plate to seal the chimney and run both the vent and OAK thru it? Some are available(check Northline see link below) from a number of places. Make sure the OAK is lower than the vent outlet(see the manual for distance required). Keep us posted.

Link to chimney caps-
http://www.northlineexpress.com/chimney/chimney-caps.html

This kit could be used(idea's) for an up the chimney OAK kit

http://www.northlineexpress.com/3-magnaflex-aluminum-liner-kit-03alktr035.html

Congrats on the purchase. I own an M55 myself and absolutely love it. Also a good choice to go with the OAK.

That stove will burn anything from the best to the worst. Last year (my first) I burned some decent pellets in the Fall and Spring. Top notch stuff in the winter. This year I'm only burning the good stuff. The price difference just seems worth it to me but not everyone would agree with that. Best of luck to you.

TBD, one other option is if you can go straight out through the chimney ( depending on outside view/appearance) My chimney design had too many curves and angles to easily accommodate the flue and OAK. I had a mason cut out a square opening for the OAK and It probably cost me the same as a vertical chimney install. Just a thought.....Bill

Congrats, that is a nice stove, you will be happy with it. Are you getting the M55 or the M55 cast?

Status
Not open for further replies.