Pulp Wood Hook

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I cut, split and stack 4 ft and saw to length when I put it in. So, yes, I use a hook.

In the winter, it's a good way to keep your hands out of the snow. You can buy specialized scissors-like double hooks that work even better.

hi ricks, dont they work slick to move wood with. what part of maine are you from? i am just over the border from portor.

henfruit said:
hi ricks, dont they work slick to move wood with. what part of maine are you from? i am just over the border from portor.

I'm in Wells, Hen. I grew up in Parsonsfield, just over the line from you. Used a pulp hook a lot in the past. Back in the 4 ft. pulp days. Got the bulging discs to prove it.

Eric Johnson said:
In the winter, it's a good way to keep your hands out of the snow. You can buy specialized scissors-like double hooks that work even better.

Found this. Looks less likely to slip, but maybe harder to un-hook?? Do they work ok, Eric?

Attachments

• tongs.jpg
    tongs.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 1,113
hey ricks parsons field is on the back side of effingham where i live. iwas in wells last week and ate at the steak house on rte 1. the old herneated disks yes at l4 and l5 know the pain well. thank god all has been well with them for a while. just need to know your limit on what you can do and when to quit.

Yes, you've got that right. L4 and L5. Knowing when to quit is real tricky, but I'm getting better at it. You've gotta quit BEFORE it hurts.

I have been there with the back.I also handle my wood 4' split.The pulp hook is the only way to go

it seems all the folks here in the notheast use them.i have picaroon also but like the hook the best. is that your tractorand winch in the picture?

Yes,I had a JD950 it worked out real nice in the woods,but it was a tad small for my needs.I traded up to a 6200 65hp at the pto,I still use my Farmi winch.It will twitch out a decent amount of wood.

I have a large woodlot here and have been able to get out what I need around field edges and easy places with a Honda compact 4X4 tractor and a IH 484 2 wheel drive, with no winch. I do have some pine big enough to harvest, lots of thinning to do and along with Garn food, I'd like to sell some firewood. So, I'd really like to buy a smallish skidder. Know of any deals?

Found this. Looks less likely to slip, but maybe harder to un-hook?? Do they work ok, Eric?

I never use tongs on wood already bucked to splitting length. I use mine for dragging out limbed-off poles that are too small to bother putting the winch cable on. Though not heavy, this stuff is hard on the wrist trying to wrap your hands around elephant trunk style. I try to cut out the poles first that are going to get hit with a bigger tree felled on them. I can whip out the tongs from their quick-draw holster and without reaching down so far snag a thirty pound pole and walk it back up to the tractor/winch with the chainsaw in the other hand in the same time it would take to go back for the winch cable and choke chain.
It does take a little push and twist of the wrist to unhook it but that's quickly learned.
Have you noticed that a lot of the ergonomic and safety equipment for small scale logging comes from socialized-medicine scandinavian countries?

I use them often on medium to largish rounds... I find they don't work as well on splits and small rounds as the target moves to much when you try to sink the hook. I find just grabbing them by hand works about as well. The trick is to have a pair, I'd find having just one to be far less effective. However for medium or large rounds they are great - in the 10-12" size that you need two hands to carry one round, I can sink a hook into each one of two rounds and then carry them like a pair of suitcases - get double the load per trip... On the bigger rounds I sink one hook into each end and use them as grab handles... More effective grip and because they extend your reach, you don't have to bend over as far, easier on the back...

Very much worth it...

Gooserider

I have been using a hookaroon for almost a year. They are Great. Picks up logs to be split without bending over and when you have someone to help with the splitting at least havf the round stays on the splittng block. They are great for off loading splits from a truck.

Father uses one hook and one hand. He has had a hip replacement so his movement is a bit limited. Has no issues using the hook for wood and can carry 2 (if he uses both) fairly good sized pieces per trip without bending over.
Chad

Are there suggested "models" of peaveys to get or are they all essentially the same?

I've been using a 4' pry bar and it's a bit of a pain - especially with 16' oak log lengths that isn't particularly straight.

Sizing is pretty much as expected; longer arm equals more lifting power, but weight and awkwardness limits the desirable length. 42"-48" are probably the most common for solo log rolling, but a 60" can offer all kinds of persuasion.

Have a look at LogRite Tools for some examples (great tools BTW). While you are there have a look at the hookaroons they make. These are the ultimate tools for moving small rounds and splits.

I use a pulp hook mostly when handling 8 foot logs but I have also used it on very heavy bucked rounds to slide them in place under the splitter wedge wen running it vertical. I also use a long iron bar to nudge logs.

As for a cant hook, I really need to get myself one. My father had one when I was a kid and I used it lots then. I've also seen a modified version that has a T leg on it to lift and hold the log off the ground.

[quote author="LLigetfa" date="1229150598"]I use a pulp hook mostly when handling 8 foot logs but I have also used it on very heavy bucked rounds to slide them in place under the splitter wedge wen running it vertical. I also use a long iron bar to nudge logs.

As for a cant hook, I really need to get myself one. My father had one when I was a kid and I used it lots then. I've also seen a modified version that has a T leg on it to lift and hold the log off the ground.[/quote]

Isn't that a "timberjack"? If there is a difference, what is it?

This is more what I'm thinking when I think of a peavey - peavey

Status
Not open for further replies.