Pump Jacks

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SolarAndWood

Minister of Fire
Feb 3, 2008
Syracuse NY
I picked up a package of pump jacks and a pick off Craigslist for my siding project. Three jacks, 3 bases, 5 braces and a 2 man 20x18 pick. It doesn't have its own poles but uses 2x4s. I need to go 24 ft with them. Is it as simple as getting 3 16 foot 2x4s and making a 24 ft pole or is there something else I need to think about? I assume I want PT? Any other words of wisdom?

Attachments

• pump jacks.jpg
    pump jacks.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 1,021
  • scaffold pick.jpg
    scaffold pick.jpg
    8.7 KB · Views: 584
If it was me I'd get some fir or southern yellow pine Select Structural grade framing lumber 2x8 or 2x12 and rip some 2x4s out of that. They'll be much stronger and straighter grain than any white wood 2x4s you can get.

Does that thing really take single 2x4s? Quite illegal here these days. Might want to check with inspecter before using. Legal if used with aluminum poles.

they are doubles. still a long way off the ground though even with 3 poles on the 18' plank.

Solar,
Get yourself some good Fir 2"x4"'s and either nail them real good together, or screw the, together. Sink all heads. Thats is all we ever used.
There are aluminum ones out there, but will cost more.

Joints should be staggered by at least 3 feet with mending plates on each joint.
If you plan on going up that high, you need a brace in the middle.

Three 8' and two 12' held together with 3" screws works well and can be disassembled easily.

Hogwildz said:
Solar,
Get yourself some good Fir 2"x4"'s and either nail them real good together, or screw the, together. Sink all heads. Thats is all we ever used.

They worked pretty good. Nailed the chit out of the poles I made this morning and they did just fine. Still didn't like being that far off the ground putting a fascia board on the 10' overhang though. A lot cheaper than renting a scissor lift though.

Aaron Pasteris said:
If you plan on going up that high, you need a brace in the middle.

Didn't have that option. The truss system I designed for the house has a 10 ' overhang on one side of the house so that it shades in the summer but lets the winter sun in. Had to get done one way or the other.

SolarAndWood said:
Hogwildz said:
Solar,

They worked pretty good. Nailed the chit out of the poles I made this morning and they did just fine. Still didn't like being that far off the ground putting a fascia board on the 10' overhang though. A lot cheaper than renting a scissor lift though.

cheaper as long as you don't get injured. Safety would be a priority for me. Be careful however you do it.

They arent OSHA standard for sure. The new designs have a handrail extension that is attached to the jack so as the staging is raised, there is a handrail behind you at all times. I think OSHA requires a safety net between the handrail and planing but am not sure. I have seen kits to convert the old style to the new style but dont know if they amke them anymore. If you havent used them , they are real easy to take a step backward off the staging. Get the best quality pole material you can find and make sure its dimension lumber (not rough cut). They look well used, you need to make sure that all the internal parts are free and clear but try not to use an lubricant. By the way the aliminum poles that are currently used do not work with the odler style units like yours.

I dont use mine often but when I do, they make working ont he side of a house real handy.

peakbagger said:
They arent OSHA standard for sure.

Qualcraft's documentation says they are. They have the safety rails, work bench, ground anchors and 2 wall anchors per pole. I'm not a big fan of heights but it was a very stable system with 3 20' poles spaced 8' apart with the wide scaffold pic.

My Bad, the handrail option wasnt obvious in the photo, I am used to them being attached to the jacks.

GLad you liked them

Well seems they worked out for your well, and no trip to the hospital.
Have a beer and rejoice ;-)

Hogwildz said:
Have a beer and rejoice ;-)

Had a beer and passed out. Used a whole bunch of muscles I don't usually use up there. Hope to have the siding done before Christmas...time will tell.

Solar as you've found out that work great after you learn how to walk and step side to side. I did siding for 15 years and started with the 2x4's and progressed to the aluminium ones. I even had extensions for the metal ones that where 11' long. Try standing one of those up by yourself!! They are safe as long as your smart about using them.

Status
Not open for further replies.