pump oil

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sigs48

May 10, 2008
Southern Me
Hi, new to forum. I have a question, can you use oil from filling station pumps for your home oil fired (#2 heating oil) furnace/boiler,forced hot water baseboard. The stations around here sell "clean diesel". thank you.

I think you can(at least you could years ago) BUT wait for someone more knowledgeable than me to say yes or no. My only reason for posting is to ask "why"? Diesel has allot more taxes on it than home heating oil and is therefore allot more expensive.

Gary

With the price of oil so high I have a tendency to wait to the last minute to order a delivery, then I'm worried that I will run out before truck gets here (sometimes over weekend) I know better planning would solve this a couple of times I thought if I could get a couple of gallons to hold me over it save a possible run-out and oilman to relight. Thanks

as far as i know you can, i wouldnt hesitate to put the off road diesel in my tank. now the newer diesel is a little different from diesel of years past, its being refined more to reduce emissions. but you would think that would just make you have the cleanest burning heater in your nieghborhood. i was always told diesel was just a more refined version of heating oil.

Our heating oil deliveries are marked " dyed diesel fuel" and after some pressing, a supplier adnitted that they are in fact the same product. My undersatnding is that the reason they add dye to home heating oil is so that if it is put in on road vehicles it can easily be detected. People I lnow have run home heating oil in diesel engines for years without incident. One farmer Got caught at market & was fined pretty heavy, he told me he had been running it for years though.
Kerosene is a slightly more refined product, but can also be burned in your diesel, or oil burner. Not sure of the long term ramifications of that though.
I often hear of people with above ground outdoor tanks adding K-1 in the winter to help combat the molasses they experinece in the cold weather
C

Yes #2 heating fuel is in fact dyed diesel. And while you can use it in your home heating system, you pay a road tax on it, that can amount to 60 or so cents a gallon more. It will get you out of a pinch but with the road taxes on it you wouldn't want to fill your tank with it.

Same stuff here, just dyed and taxed for road use.

Status
Not open for further replies.