Pump Size

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

GENECOP

Minister of Fire
Jan 31, 2014
Ny
My non pressurized storage is now online, it's working OK but now I have to dial it in. To charge the tank I have 50' of 1" copper coil, tank size is about 450 gallons...it is tied to my 60 gallon Superstore. So from the WB into the Superstore (indirect) then out to the new tank. I am using a B&G NRF 22 to circulate from the Superstore to the new tank, the top coil in the new tank then goes directly into the radiant feed...I have a couple of STainless steel wells with a few mechanical thermostats to read temps, both reading are about 110 Deg, even though I am putting out 170 from the WB. I understand that the will be heat loss between all the transfers, but 60 Deg? So this leads to my question, should I get a variable speed pump, will the speed change the transfer rate? Also not sure how accurate the thermostats are..Thankyou....

So you in essence have two heat exchangers between the boiler & the storage water?

Accurate temps in & out of each of them, along with in & out of boiler & top/bottom storage, should show where heat is not transferring as good.

Yes, I just changed out the NRF 22 to the NRF 33, I have a fire going now, let's see if the increased water flow changes anything, thanks..

Gene I lost the photos I had of your system. Your wood boiler is feeding the coil in the Superstor? I can't seem to recall.
Yes Ron, wood boiler into Super Store, then out of SS over to new tank...3 exchangers in the system...

Status
Not open for further replies.