Pump Speed and Heat Output!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

I Stand Alone

Dec 7, 2009
Western New York
To get the max heat out of my baseboard heating I have a question.

I have a Econoburn 150 running into my propane boiler. The output of the wood boiler ties into the return on the propane boiler

My propane furnace has a 3 speed pump. Where do I set the speed for the best heat output in the house?

wftree

For baseboard you want the maximum delta T, so you put the pump on the lowest position.

Elliot is wright, as always.
I was talking wood boiler side. Did not read the post very well.
Sorry for the confusion

Faster flow= more energy moved. That is true for boilers, solar collectors, and heat emitters. Of course more flow costs more pump output and electrical consumption. Another limitation is the velocity through the piping. You want to stay below 4 FPS feet per second to avoid noise and erosion corrosion inside then piping and components.

hr

Status
Not open for further replies.