Pumping Septic tank - Questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
thinkxingu said:
Of course, $4,000 is half of $8,000! Also, $4K over 60 years is better than $8K at once!

I've been pumping every two years, but I've always wondered why my relatives never needed to.

S
I don't know enough to answer that just know this thing looks good every-time I check it.

Have you ever come up to a muddy puddle and been able to drive right through it because it was only 1 inch deep, then come to another mud puddle and the water runs up over your bumper? You can't tell how deep the mud puddle is from above. You have no idea how good your septic tank is based on looking at the top. Push a stick in there next time.

We are required to pump every three year. When we purchased the house it was in the county documents and a requirement. The house was built in '80 and is listed as a 3 bedroom. We we waited for 4 years and the pump guys said we could have gone 6 years with no worry. Still, I have had friends who have had septic problems and that is no fun, not to mention costly.

Well its pretty simple to take care of a septic. I realize many here havent had a new system installed, but i have when i bought my house and there were very clear and simple instructions that came with the cert.

- No garbage disposals on sink
- No water softener discharge connected to tank
- inspect and pump tank every 2 years, if needed
- Clean effluent filter every 6 months

Im sure some people have different rules, but thats what is listed on my certificate of compliance. Now, i started with an empty tank, and never had issues with bacteria, i give it plenty! That tells me no additves are needed. As far as an effluent filter, if it is easy to do, it is cheap insurance. Now if you never have company, fine then dont put one in cuz you "know the rules". If you have a lot of people over who dont know any better, its easy peace of mind knowing it will stay in the tank until cleaning time.

So adding Rid-X is a waste of time and money. How bout that. My wife has been buying a box of it sort of regularly and I would open the lid and pour it in direct. Thought I was doing something good. My cover is a manhole on the edge of my driveway so finding it is no problem. I'll miss that chore.

my father in law was at a home show once, and there was a similar product to rid x there that they tried to sell. He said he would buy it if they would guarantee his septic. Obviously they declined, and Rid-X wont either. If they wont guarantee, why buy it?

Just so we arent hijacking a thread, pump the system clean, and be done with it. Keep the anitbacterial chemical to a minimum. I clean the throne with bleach etc when needed, and the tank looks likes it working away whenever i clean the ffluent filter.

I believe how often a tank needs pumped depends on how many people are using it, how much toilet paper they use, and the type of system. My family of 5 fills our tank in 5 years, but my wife uses toilet paper like it's going out of style. when I had my tank pumped (after 5 years from last pump it begin to back up) it had about a 2 1/2' flotie of paper on top. I dont think our system has a leach bed. I'm thinking it just goes to a tile to the creek.
The guy who pumped ours used a mixer to stir the bottom up and rinsed the tank a little with our hose. He said that he was getting ready to add onboard water to his truck. I had to pay $225 ,but he was the only one who could pump it that day (Sat) and I didn't want to wait till monday.

Technically the tank is supposed to hold the waxes and oils that we get from soaps, shampoo's and cooking. There are baffles that keep this stuff from going into the drainfield or mound because they will gum up the works. It should be pumped at least every 2 yrs. The point is to recycle the water into the ground and keep the rest of the stuff in the tank. If it gets overfull, this stuff runs into the drainfield/mound and plugs it up.
Doug

Status
Not open for further replies.