Punk on the outside of white oak, what to do ??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

HDRock

Minister of Fire
Oct 25, 2012
Grand Blanc, Mi
Some of this oak I have has 1/2 to 1 in ,of punk.
Should I leave it, or get it off ;?

IMG_20130713_184148.jpgIMG_20130713_184233.jpg

Man I'd split that and stack it. Only way that punk would affect anything is if that wood was rained on in cold weather and you wanted to burn it soon after, otherwise, if you keep it dry, I wouldn't worry about it.

BURN THE PUNK!

Reactions: Applesister
That's the sap wood ring.
It'll rot & get punky if wet.
Keep it dry & it'll burn fine.

If left out a few years uncovered, it usually falls off.
No worries :)

It will hold moisture like a sponge so keep it dry.
It'll burn better if dry too.

No problem with that at all, just keep it dry till you burn it. And do watch out for the piece of metal that is somewhere in or near the piece in the first picture.

Nothing wrong with what you have there. Split is, stack it, and burn it.

Reactions: Thistle and ScotO
Actually that wood looks pretty primo to me. Youve got some really dense tight growth rings. Heavy shade forest conditions and slow growth wood. Good chit. ;-)

Reactions: Thistle
I don't think it's going to hurt anything, but wonder if burning a lot of the micro-organisms would mask the cat, necessitating a vinegar/water simmer sooner than if you were burning clean wood. No big deal either way, and you don't have a cat stove so no problem. When it's powdery-dry like in your second pic, there's probably not many critters left. I'm working on some Red right now that has varying degrees of punk. If it's pretty solid I won't mess with it. If it's softer, I might buzz it down with the small saw with a fairly dull chain or whack some of it down with a hatchet. Huge waste of time, more than likely. ;lol

As BD mentioned already, the sapwood in oaks (especially white oak) will get punky and soft if left in the weather. Most standing dead oaks I cut on the farm have the exact same thing......completely normal and expected. That stuff will be fine, get it stacked and top-covered if you wish. That is some primo wood!

I had some luck using the wedge of the splitter to "shave" most of the punk off. Whatever is left after a reasonable amount of effort, is what it is.

Burn baby burn!

Reactions: PA. Woodsman
I will be in Detroit next weekend for the Jimmy Buffet/Jackson Browne show. Split it and I will pick it up as that cannot be burned south of Clare. :rolleyes:
Now I will be honest that will not hurt a thing. I have burned hundreds of cords of stuff like that and a lot worse.

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
For sure that is very common with oak. Burn it and worry not.

Reactions: Thistle
Thanks every one, I'll just cover it once I get it stacked to keep it from soaking up water

I must have 13-14 cord of Red,Black,White & Bur Oak in varying degrees of that condition.....About 50/50 split between standing snags & deadfall. Keep it covered & it'll last for years.

Built in firestarter.... long as it stays dry. ;)

I have some WO with 3 or 4 inches of punk. It dries out and will burn great. Great wood.!

Curiosity, made me check MC on said Punk, that has been uncovered ,surprise, 18%, a few dry days and it looses moisture fast, I assume cuz it is so, less dense

No bark helps a lot.
Yup !! bark seems like loose plastic wrap, unless It's it is stuck tight on solid wood , in my limited observerasion

If the bark is loose or coming off, just know it all the way off. Yu ain't losing much BTU's knocking the bark off. and it will dry faster.
Same with stacking, more air exposure= faster drying.

Status
Not open for further replies.