Punked in load - how much is reasonable?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

KB007

Minister of Fire
Oct 21, 2009
Ottawa, Canada
Been buying truck loads for a few years now and the last load had a few more punked logs than I cared for. Normally if there's a few I just call it acceptable losses, but this last load had more than a few that were noticeably rotten or punked in the middle. Truck load is normally 8 cords of 8 ft logs of various sizes.

What's seems reasonable to you?

What type of percentage are you talking about? At 5% I would probably just roll with it. At 30% I would probably be on the phone.

Reactions: PapaDave and ScotO
prolly between 5 and 10 %, just guessing, a load is prolly around 100 logs, maybe close to 10 were heavily punked. If it were 4-5 I'd just say - normal loss. Am I being picky??

Am I being picky??

Dunno. That is your call. It depends on price, species, etc. Maybe ask if they could replace the punks, or something? Give them a chance to make it right, if you decide it is unacceptable.

just give em a heads up and see if they do anything for you

Red oak with punky core would be acceptable to me. Not much else.

New supplier, or one that's done well for you in years past? That would factor into my decision on how to proceed.

5-10 logs out of a hundred isn't TOO bad, but still, if this is your normal supplier, I'd mention it to him.....
who knows, maybe he'll bring 10 more logs and not charge you. That, alone, would be enough to keep me happy........

Are you buying this as firewood? Cause when stuff usually goes to a pulp mill punk does not matter. If it goes on a truck they buy it.

But 5-10 out of a 100 is nothing. Thats some mighty small stuff for the most part right?

Check around & see if there's some other log length wood sellers.
Then compare price & quality.
Price of delivered wood can vary quite a bit, depending on the area.
Type of wood factors in too.

If it were me, I would not pay a dime for any punk wood. One log would be too much and I'd definitely be on the seller quickly. For sure I'd give him a chance to make it right and most would. Sorry, but if I'm spending dollars, I do not want to spend it on junk.

Reactions: NortheastAl
You answered your own question, you know a couple is acceptable, but after that, it is a bad batch that you got this past time....make a call tell them your a good customer that is not happy with the last batch. See what they do...

Same guy I've used for a few years. Called him to order another load the other day and mentioned it. He said he'd check this next load. Will see when it arrives next weekend.

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
If its the regular guy you use, let him know and most likely he will do something for you. They love repeat customers and would hate to loose steady cash over some bad wood.

Status
Not open for further replies.