Punky/rotten wood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

new_wood

May 9, 2011
Lebanon, Ohio
I have always set aside any wood that was even partially punky/rotten for the outside firepit. Am i being overcautious? Does burning rotten wood cause creosote build up or have any adverse effects on your stove setup? Or does it just burn poorly? Which I know could lead to creosote build up. Thanks in advance for your input.

If its dry and dont store it inside go ahead and burn it, it wont las tlong but is good for shoulder season.

I've had to burn some. It will soak up the rain, so once it's dry keep it covered.
It burn fast but it's BTU's.
If dry, no creo issues. ;)

The punky wood acts like a sponge so if you want to use it store it protected from the rain. Once its is dry, however, it is great to get a good fire going. One or two pieces together with some kindling have my stove up in no time.

I agree. Punky wood is definitely like a sponge but if it is dry it does no harm in the stove. Oak most times will get some punk all around the log. Sometimes only an inch but could be 2 inches. Worry not. Put that log in and burn it. I've heard of some folks chopping it off with an axe but that is certainly taking things a bit too far.

Reactions: PapaDave
I usually set aside the punky wood for the firepit. Then I fail to have a fire in the pit, the pile gets large, the punky part dries out, and I move it to the porch to keep it dry before I burn in it the stove.

I'm ahead of the game so I tend to put my punks into the firepit or use during camping . . . but that said . . . if dry I'll burn them in the stove, especially during the Fall shoulder season. Sometimes when I am especially anal retentive I will actually hack the punk off the split and then put the split in the "good wood" pile vs. the "naughty wood" pile. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.