Puppy likes the cool stone

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ctwoodtick

Minister of Fire
Jun 5, 2015
Southeast CT
The insert is cleaned out for the season, but the pup is still drawn to it!

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    101.7 KB · Views: 283
We have an aussie shepherd that does the same thing. Woodyard dogs love there woodstoves!

I thought I was done also, but temps dipped into the low 40s last night and tonight. Burning up some pine and uglies

My to labs sleep in front of the stove all the time even in the middle of summer. Maybe the two large overhead fans make it feel nice in the summer. Regardless they both like that spot.

Reactions: D8Chumley
I'm also still burning worked in the rain and cold all week, stove going just feels good. Layed up a foundation today cold rainy nothing better than a warm house to come into makes you just feel better!

I'm also still burning worked in the rain and cold all week, stove going just feels good. Layed up a foundation today cold rainy nothing better than a warm house to come into makes you just feel better!

I know the feeling. Sometimes mentally I need the burning season to end though. I do the same with fishing. I see many neighbors though with smoke pouring out if their chimneys still.

Trust me I'm ready for the burning season to be over. I just need it to warm up! This cold and rain is making it last forever. Layed block and cut a giant truck load of locust today then once again it starts raining and getting cooler. I'm sure it's another fire night, I know the dogs will love it.

One of our cats ... Franklin Delano Roosevelt ... often comes into the house and plunks himself in front of the stove and watches the flames. Lately we've caught him lying in front of the stove and staring at it even when it's not lit.

One of our cats ... Franklin Delano Roosevelt ... often comes into the house and plunks himself in front of the stove and watches the flames. Lately we've caught him lying in front of the stove and staring at it even when it's not lit.

My wife, thoughts on this......"aaaawwwww"!

We took in a cat about 2 months ago, rescued from a pretty bad situation, and he would hide behind the sofa when we first brought him in as we have many cats and it was a HUGE adjustment for him, and we only had the stove going twice since he was in and he seemed to stay away from it then, but since it's been not running and is cold we see him jumping up on top of it and I surely HOPE that come next Fall/Winter he will realize that would not be a good idea! We only had one cat jump on the stove over the years when it was hot and as you can guess she yelled and jumped right off! We are hoping that this guy doesn't repeat history but we've got a long wait now until Fall!

We took in a cat about 2 months ago, rescued from a pretty bad situation, and he would hide behind the sofa when we first brought him in as we have many cats and it was a HUGE adjustment for him, and we only had the stove going twice since he was in and he seemed to stay away from it then, but since it's been not running and is cold we see him jumping up on top of it and I surely HOPE that come next Fall/Winter he will realize that would not be a good idea! We only had one cat jump on the stove over the years when it was hot and as you can guess she yelled and jumped right off! We are hoping that this guy doesn't repeat history but we've got a long wait now until Fall!

Franklin also was a rescue cat . . . local humane shelter had him in the $5 bargain bin (true story -- although I donated a bit more to partially offset the cost of having him fixed). When he first came to the home he spent the first few weeks inside our bed . . . or more specifically inside the box spring -- only coming out briefly to use the litter box and eat/drink. He has since come around and is much friendlier now.

Regarding the hot stove . . . my wife's concern for the cats was just one of the reasons I ended up sticking a slab of soapstone on top of my Jotul . . . it was her thinking that the soapstone would get very warm, but not hot enough to cause any burns if a cat leaps up there. To my knowledge, none of the cats have ever attempted to do so.

Franklin also was a rescue cat . . . local humane shelter had him in the $5 bargain bin (true story -- although I donated a bit more to partially offset the cost of having him fixed). When he first came to the home he spent the first few weeks inside our bed . . . or more specifically inside the box spring -- only coming out briefly to use the litter box and eat/drink. He has since come around and is much friendlier now.

Regarding the hot stove . . . my wife's concern for the cats was just one of the reasons I ended up sticking a slab of soapstone on top of my Jotul . . . it was her thinking that the soapstone would get very warm, but not hot enough to cause any burns if a cat leaps up there. To my knowledge, none of the cats have ever attempted to do so.
Good for you for saving a life! All of ours were strays, most from our own backyard.

I think and hope that by next October when I start the stove up again he'll be even more relaxed than he is now, he goes under the railing and just walks on to the stove because it is right there, but he was out once when it was going and my wife said that she saw him walk around the back of it on the brick ledge like some of them do which scares us greatly! But I think that he'll be "aware" of the heat...time will tell!

Good for you for saving a life! All of ours were strays, most from our own backyard.

I think and hope that by next October when I start the stove up again he'll be even more relaxed than he is now, he goes under the railing and just walks on to the stove because it is right there, but he was out once when it was going and my wife said that she saw him walk around the back of it on the brick ledge like some of them do which scares us greatly! But I think that he'll be "aware" of the heat...time will tell!

When the insert was in use this winter, the pup would stay at least a couple feet away. I too figure that he was aware of the heat, especially given that he is a puppy and explores EVERYTHING.

Status
Not open for further replies.