Purcell DF????

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

skibumm100

Feeling the Heat
I went to the stove shop this morning to pick up a ton of softwoods and they were out of my regular brand. I broke my standing rule of buying a ton only after a test burn. I need a couple more tons for the season and I drove 45 minutes to the shop so I didn't want to go home empty. The shop owner reported these as being very hot but a little ashier than Vermonts. They are reported to be from ID. Has anybody burned any of these yet? Reports or comments?

Sounds about right. They are made by North Idaho Energy. The local pellet shop advertises them as a "Douglas Fir Mix" at 8700 / .30 - whereas the Vermonts are advertised at 8600 / .23 - I have not burned the Purcells yet, but I did research them earlier in the year and the little info I could dig up on them was all good. Everyone who has burned them really seems to like them; suspect you will too, please post your thoughts after you burn some.

I went to the stove shop this morning to pick up a ton of softwoods and they were out of my regular brand. I broke my standing rule of buying a ton only after a test burn. I need a couple more tons for the season and I drove 45 minutes to the shop so I didn't want to go home empty. The shop owner reported these as being very hot but a little ashier than Vermonts. They are reported to be from ID. Has anybody burned any of these yet? Reports or comments?
Where in nh are you ? Home Depot has blazer pellets Doug fir for 239 ton I have 8 tons of them being delivered thurs. Barly any ash after after full bag burn and HOT !!!

Reactions: shrtaprch
Where in nh are you ? Home Depot has blazer pellets Doug fir for 239 ton I have 8 tons of them being delivered thurs. Barly any ash after after full bag burn and HOT !!!

Hampstead. I need another ton or two. I need to check the local HD's to see what they have. I was looking for Stove Chow or FSU's but if I can find Blazers, I'll buy those instead.

I actually have LaCrete's. Spruce Pointe's, Purcell's, a bag of Okie DF's and a bag or two of Curran's that I want run through the stove and get some data. I have my stove wired up with (4) TC's so there's no guessing. I don't adjust anything between runs so the results are what they are. I run the stove in manual when doing the tests. It would be interesting to run the different DF pellets to see what burns hottest in my stove. I don't measure ash, though, because it would take too much time to get good numbers. I can check heat with about one batch per hour. Good way to kill some time on Sunday's while watching the games.

Sounds about right. They are made by North Idaho Energy.

I am not sure if they do. I have bags of both. The address on each label is different. The addresses are about 150 miles apart. It might just be same company, 2 locations. I use both pellets but prefer the Purcells. They are a bit longer than the North Idaho energy Logs. Seems the smaller sized pellets go thru my stove faster. Both burn very hot with no build up at all in my burn pot. Purcells go for $ 199 a ton. North Idaho Energy logs go for $ 229-$249 a ton. Seems out west all they sell are Douglas fir pellets. Would be interesting burning some hardwood pellets. Can't find them.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    132.2 KB · Views: 275
Status
Not open for further replies.