Purchased 1st Home and 1st post here...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

WillNY1

Oct 11, 2016
NEPA
Hello all,

I came across this community while looking for answers. This may be a bit long winded but here goes. The house is a raised ranch with an above ground basement that is insulated. Walls and ceilings, but not the floor.It's exposed concrete as of right now. 2000 sq. ft. total. Upstairs is 1000. Now the issue I have is the current fireplace.

The Make is a Dovre 2100 series fireplace. I am confused as to what this thing actually is. Is it a Zero Clearance(ZC) stove? Not exactly sure, but anyway, the chase is constructed of t1-11 siding and the chimney pipe and cap look new. I took a look at it when i was doing the roof. I have no experience messing with fireplaces and just wondering how safe these are?

So a few questions as to what my options are here. Would you keep it and just clean and rebuild it? Was thinking of getting a pellet stove. Can i put a pellet stove insert in its place and just connect it to the existing chimney pipe?

How about a free standing stove wood or pellet and just run the pipe back and up out the chimney?

Would also like to get a stove for the basement. But i can get to that later. Anyway, here are some pictures. yay!

HeumcuG.jpg 7VuA3KE.jpg FRSVU1j.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.