Purchased a Jotul C350... have a few (noob) questions.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Henry G

Aug 25, 2008
Washington Coast
Well it was about time I took out the old Lopi that came with the house and replaced it with something a bit more efficient (and better looking). I purchased a Jotul C350 this week and hope to have it installed soon. I don't have much experience at all with inserts or wood stoves in general, so bare with me. :)

Here is the old Lopi (old blurry photo from the day we acquired the house):

oldlopi.jpg

Where can I get more information on this style Lopi? I plan to clean it up and sell it to get it off my hands.

Here is a stock photo of what the C350 Jotul looks like for reference:

jotul_c350_winterport.jpg

Before I can install this insert I have a few issues I need to resolve.

1) The Height of the C350 is 27in (with the 2in riser installed). The Height of the fireplace is 29in.

Example:

IMGP4735.jpg

There is an optional larger surround that will attach to the small surround to give me 30in in height which will solve my problems... aside from paying an additional $150-200. I was told that I could simply add a layer of bricks on the bottom of the fireplace, and that will give me the height I need. Would this be a better solution than getting the bigger surround? I do like the idea of bringing the insert up off the hearth an inch or two.

Any advise would be appreciated. I'm going to research the install of this insert a little more before I decide whether or not I will pay someone to install it. :)

Don't know how you'd add a course of brick beneath the steel lintel that should be there to support the span across the fireplace opening, but I s'pose anything's possible. That old Lopi looks like it's from the era of my old M530. I'd have to see it out of the fireplace to really recognize it. Is that a functional control handle sticking out the top? Rick

Henry, if you're doing the install yourself the extra 2" will give you more room to work when attaching the liner to the stove. It would have made my job of installing the C450 one heck of a lot easier. Do you know anyone in the sheetmetal business? You should be able to get it done for much less than you mentioned by having a piece of sheetmetal cut and painted. Good luck!

Have a 4" x surround width piece of 22 ga sheetmetal cut for you. This can be painted with high-temp white paint, then attached to the back of the surround at the top.

fossil said:
Don't know how you'd add a course of brick beneath the steel lintel that should be there to support the span across the fireplace opening, but I s'pose anything's possible. That old Lopi looks like it's from the era of my old M530. I'd have to see it out of the fireplace to really recognize it. Is that a functional control handle sticking out the top? Rick

That handle is indeed functional. The handle slides in and out.

When I pulled the Lopi out there was a VERY thin plate which had rusted apart long ago. How thick should the new one be?

You should be able to put a course of brick under the insert and have no problem. You may have to bring it out in front a bit to support the weight of the face, but it should not present you any big trouble, I've done some that way

boostnut said:
Henry, if you're doing the install yourself the extra 2" will give you more room to work when attaching the liner to the stove. It would have made my job of installing the C450 one heck of a lot easier. Do you know anyone in the sheetmetal business? You should be able to get it done for much less than you mentioned by having a piece of sheetmetal cut and painted. Good luck!

This opening is much bigger than what I need. The Jotul will fit in there with no problem. The only issue is having the small surround cover the opening completely.

Are you suggesting sheetmetal to raise the stove, or to cover that opening above the surround?

If the stove is not raised, the sheetmetal would be to cover the gap at the top. That's why I suggested white paint.

Just curious, would the C450 have fit? I'm wondering why this model was not chosen? Is this in a small house or room?

BeGreen said:
If the stove is not raised, the sheetmetal would be to cover the gap at the top. That's why I suggested white paint.

Just curious, would the C450 have fit? I'm wondering why this model was not chosen? Is this in a small house or room?

The C450 would have fit but in my opinion would have been overkill. The house will be just under 1200 sq/ft once the addition is done.

Also, no one in my area could get the C350 or C450 until the first of the year. I happen to find one C350 so I picked it up right away. Looking at the specs, I think this will work just fine. The old lopi was horribly inefficient, and didn't have a blower.

Got it, sounds good.

Henry G said:
boostnut said:

This opening is much bigger than what I need. <----Your sure about that? Keep in mind that once the insert is in the hole you have to get your hands back there to attach the liner. 2" extra would have saved me a couple of hours of frustration. The Jotul will fit in there with no problem. The only issue is having the small surround cover the opening completely.

Are you suggesting sheetmetal to raise the stove, or to cover that opening above the surround?
Not to raise the stove but to cover the opening.

Status
Not open for further replies.