1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

purchased a stove!

Post in 'The Pellet Mill - Pellet and Multifuel Stoves' started by Proud Sub Vet, Dec 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Proud Sub Vet

Proud Sub Vet New Member

Loc:
    NE Connecticut
    Hello all! After reading all the advice on here, I just pulled the trigger on getting the new Harman P52i.... yea it was a bit expensive by the time you add in the delivery and installation, etc. (also getting the rail kit (seemed like a very useful tool for a very heavy stove!) - it will be delivered 'during the first week in January' or so and looking forward to cutting the costs of my electrically heated 2,300 sq. ft. in CT! (will post a pic as soon as I get 'er in).
    My dealer sells Barefoot pellets - any comments on those? (all the info says will burn ANY type of pellet)
    Thanks as always

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Dgopetactical

Dgopetactical Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    York County, Pa
    Welcome to the forum, and congratulations on your new stove, the rail kit sounds interesting.
  3. tsmith

tsmith Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Kutztown, PA
    Welcome, you bought a great stove and the Barefoot's are an excellent pellet. You will be very happy with your stove.
  4. Dgopetactical

Dgopetactical Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    York County, Pa
    On the pellets, it has been said over a million times in this forum, try a bunch of different brands before pulling the trigger on tonnage, every stove seems to have different needs to be happy.
  5. tsmith

tsmith Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Kutztown, PA
    That is true, but I can tell ya that the Harman will love the Barefoot pellets.
  6. subsailor

subsailor Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Winthrop, Maine
    What boat?
    firebroad likes this.
  7. Jasond

Jasond New Member

Loc:
    New Hampshire
    You'll love it. You should be able to save some money on your electricity bill with it however I use mine to heat my 2500 sq. ft colonial and it can get a little cold in the morning in my master bedroom (2nd floor furthest away from stove). On the mornings that are in the teens outside which seems increasingly more common lately, I have been turning the oil heat on just to bring the temp up a little on the second floor. The lowest I have seen my second floor get was 58 degrees and it's not hard for the boiler to bring the temp to 63 degrees fairly quickly. However I haven't turned the stove up past 3 yet either.

Luckily I put in a new Buderus boiler this year so I don't mind using it too much since it's fairly efficient for an oil burner.
  8. bill3rail

bill3rail Minister of Fire

Loc:
    LI, NY
    Congratulations and welcome to the forum's.
    You should love the savings.

Bill
  9. Proud Sub Vet

Proud Sub Vet New Member

Loc:
    NE Connecticut
    Thanks everyone for such fast replies! Glad to hear that I should love the stove AND my stove should love the pellets! (I also agree with trying a few different brands of pellets.) I am more inclinded to purchase the premium+ grade of pellet even though the Harman stoves 'will burn anything'. I just figure better pellet, a happier stove... and after spending all that to get started, what's a few extra bucks for 4 tons of a better pellet.

And for the fellow submarine sailor (bubblehead) in this string... I am proud to say I was on the James Madison (SSBN 627) B... and believe it or not, I was on the Grayling (SSN 646) - the one built before the one you are showing! (loved the Sturgeon Class - a nice liveable boat)
  10. Jason Knapp

Jason Knapp Member

Loc:
    Poughkeepsie, NY
    Congrats on the stove.
    Barefoots are awesome! Ive been burning them for a while and I love them.
  11. Phil Do's fire.

Phil Do's fire. Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Hyde Park, NY
    Welcome and please:) post some pic's of the installed stove
  12. MarkSJohnson

MarkSJohnson Member

Loc:
    Concord, NH
    Welcome to the forum (from another Newbie) and thank you for your service!
    stoveguy2esw and Countryboymo like this.
  13. iceguy4

iceguy4 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Upstate, NY
    I have been around people who have sailed these boats as well as people who built them. I loved hearing stories about both the building as well as sailing...One sailor who I scuba dive with says "we called Russian subs "" chitty-chitty-bang-bang""" Is it still true that our subs are the only ones that are truly invisible after leaving port?
    About this forum.. GREAT place...GREAT info...GREAT people...BUT we can be opinionated about the process. You have picked up that a Harman is NOT fussy about pellet quality. IMHO use this to your advantage and burn cheap pellets. At the least , I don't feel it necessary to be anal about pellet purchases by buying a few to test. (heck I purchased 9 tons before burning one pellet! ) Also I'm sure you have picked up on the fact that a clean stove is a happy stove.
  14. sante fe

sante fe Member

Loc:
    Poughkeepsie ny
    Great choice, Really like mine, throws awsome heat. Good luck.
  15. Lake Girl

Lake Girl Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    NW Ontario
    Welcome to the forum... When discussing install with the dealer, you may want to discuss an OAK. Most people find it is worth the extra effort. Don't forget surge protection:)
    stoveguy2esw likes this.
  16. tjnamtiw

tjnamtiw Minister of Fire

Loc:
    North Georgia
    And I was on the Grant SSBN631 GOLD out of Guam plus briefly on the Scamp and the diesel boat Pomfret.
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2013
  17. Proud Sub Vet

Proud Sub Vet New Member

Loc:
    NE Connecticut
    I will post as soon as 'she' gets delivered - looking forward to it.

Sounds like I've make a good decision regarding the stove and the pellets which makes me feel soooo much better after writing that check! By the time you get the stove, the delivery/install, chimney liner, rail kit and 4 tons of pellets, it really took a bite out of my checking account!

I do owe a bit of gratitude for these forums and everyone's input!
  18. Proud Sub Vet

Proud Sub Vet New Member

Loc:
    NE Connecticut
    I did ask about the OAK and he dismissed that as totally unnecessay without missing a beat. I guess I'm a bit at his mercy/opinion until I can see for myself. My house is about 23 years old and the double-pain windows are all in very good shape, plus the house being electrically heated is also very well insulated. Sounds like something that could be installed next season if I feel otherwise?? OMG yes - will absolutely use the surge protection!!
  19. iceguy4

iceguy4 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Upstate, NY
    Money well spent!;ex
  20. Proud Sub Vet

Proud Sub Vet New Member

Loc:
    NE Connecticut
    Wow another killer of the deep! Wow the Scamp AND a diesel boat... I'm humbled! If a person is not clostrophobic, subs are the place to be!
  21. Proud Sub Vet

Proud Sub Vet New Member

Loc:
    NE Connecticut
    Serving was my pleasure. A very unique experience and one I cherish 25+ years after getting our! Thanks!
  22. iceguy4

iceguy4 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Upstate, NY

You shouldn't feel your at his mercy...your the customer..get the OAK
    IMHO...(others chime in if I'm off base) Your house is not that old and more then likely pretty tight. .Also since your installing an insert(I assume this cuz you mention a rail kit) installing the OAK can be difficult and may have to go up the chimney with the exhaust. This will be cheaper if done with the installation .
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2013
  23. Proud Sub Vet

Proud Sub Vet New Member

Loc:
    NE Connecticut
    Wow ok, good to know! I will ask someone else at the shop - sounds like it should definitely be done during the install. Yes, I'm getting the new Harman Accentra 52i (insert)
  24. 2011 GT/CS

2011 GT/CS New Member

Loc:
    Lehigh township, Pa
    Just wanted to say thank you for your service to our country. And I would also say to go with the OAK at install time. Mine was a bit of a pain to install but I am so glad I did.
  25. Phoenix Hatchling

Phoenix Hatchling Minister of Fire

Loc:
    New Fairfield, CT
    Love the barefoots. Tried them the last several weeks and they burn hot and clean
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.