Purchased Yesterday...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bigjim13

Minister of Fire
Jan 5, 2009
Central Vermont
Went to HD in Rutland, Vt after calling around and getting prices. Wanted to stay with a local shop but they had one option that they "hadn't sold thru their allotment of" and I didn't want to play the call back every 10 days game. Found out another producer isn't selling them at all this year too.

Checked online before leaving my house and HD had 1068 tons in stock. Got there planning on doing 4 tons but if you buy 5, free delivery. So, 5 it is. Thinking its will either be Stove Chow or FSU, either way I'm fine with that.

Also getting estimates on replacing our furnace. If my furnace wasn't an antique is be doing mostly oil this year, I'd like to have that option in the future.

You have to do what makes money sense for the given moment and situation. IMO home heating cheaper is better but this does not rule out convenience for a small fee.

I will gladly pay reasonable prices for tons of pellets for said convenience vs. wood but that is me. Last season heating with pellets simplified my life so much it was almost priceless relatively speaking but it did come with a price tag. I am also heating with pellets again this season so there you have it sports fans.

I really like my pellet stoves but IF the costs get out of sight then I will not hesitate to switch gears. With that said, I would also not count on oil staying cheap so I'd think hard about a capital investment to go or stay that route. Yes, frustrating I know.

You have to do what makes money sense for the given moment and situation. IMO home heating cheaper is better but this does not rule out convenience for a small fee.

I will gladly pay reasonable prices for tons of pellets for said convenience vs. wood but that is me. Last season heating with pellets simplified my life so much it was almost priceless relatively speaking but it did come with a price tag. I am also heating with pellets again this season so there you have it sports fans.

I really like my pellet stoves but IF the costs get out of sight then I will not hesitate to switch gears. With that said, I would also not count on oil staying cheap so I'd think hard about a capital investment to go or stay that route. Yes, frustrating I know.
We haven't used our furnace much the last few years but if we ever hope to sell this house a newer furnace is necessary. I believe it's still the original furnace from when the house was built in the 50's. The tech said "I've never seen a furnace like this before" LOL.

I know oil won't stay low but I'm getting tired of the pellet chase/supply game, just plain getting old. So, I want options. Natural gas isn't one here in VT yet and likely won't be for many years with our environmental regs.

if we ever hope to sell this house a newer furnace is necessary.
Right there is a justification then and a very valid point. Might as well bite the bullet and get to use some cheap oil to reduce the replacement costs. Have you checked into other possibilities too though?

I think oil will stay low until next spring or longer. I was hearing on the radio news that barrels are piling and oil might reach $20 a barrel soon.

Reactions: bags
We could do propane, those are the 2 main options here in VT and we have propane for all our appliances and hot water. When they give us an estimate it will be worth asking.

Reactions: bags
I think oil will stay low until next spring or longer. I was hearing on the radio news that barrels are piling and oil might reach $20 a barrel soon.

If oil gets goes down that much I will just save my pellets for when it goes back up!!

Reactions: bags and Bigjim13
I was hearing on the radio news that barrels are piling and oil might reach $20 a barrel soon.
So we should be seeing $1.45 per gallon at the pumps??? When was the last time 55 gallons was so cheap? Before it went all metric an sheet? Don't hold your breath is all I can say. Unless you are swimming beneath an oil fire on the water.

Reactions: Bigjim13
Be interesting to see how this plays this winter. Local oil dealers base their pricing on local demand, not the futures market. So if the drop in prices drives alternative heaters to oil it could make for an interesting season.With weirdly different prices just fifty miles apart.

That's why I keep old seasoned wood and a hot looking witch with a bad attitude when she is cold >>>> usually the case. Either way it works out and I stay warm.::-) I do prefer not to run though......

Who knows it was just some news though with the crash in china one of the oil companies biggest customers will cause a large issue for awhile.
For me I only buy gas I do not even have a oil furnace anymore and do not plan on spending 4 grand for a new one.

From someone I'm related to in the oil business, prices aren't going up for a long the way things are stacked and have more potential to drift further down. He's pretty good at what he does.

If I get the gumption to update my old propane boiler and water heater, it may be worth it to swap out to oil. Not at the top of my priority list right now, but boilers do have a limited lifespan (direct experience with one that failed), so I'm thinking the 1980 model in my house probably can't be pushed too much longer, even if it is rarely used. Don't need a flooded basement with the water coming from the inside!

For us it's the electric baseboard heat or the pellet stove. I read recently that electric rates are supposed to be a little less this upcoming winter, though not as low as they were 2-3 years ago. For us $1500 for 5 tons of pellets keeps us warm from Oct till May. Using electric would easily be double if not triple that.

Sam

Reactions: bogieb
Status
Not open for further replies.