Purchasing pellets in Central MA (in January)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CdoubleZ

Mar 29, 2011
Central, MA
Hey there. I had created a similar topic on here last summer and wound up getting 4 tons of green supreme for under $700 at lowes delivered. Awesome deal and Worked out nicely.

Well first year at the new house I had no idea I would be through 4 tons by now.

Anyone have any suggestions or tips on where to go now for 1-2 tons in central MA to get us through the rest of the winter? I could always go through lowes or HD again if they have a decent pellet in stock, just want to see what others have done.

I paid $175 a ton this summer so would like to be somewhere remotely close to this if possible. Thanks.

I got 4 tons at the same price also (3.77 a bag I think), problem is, they're now (Greene team) $5 plus a bag. With this latest cold snap, I've just passed 68 bags, I hope I can make it through with what I have.

How in the world have you gone through 4 ton already? We're probably less than an hour apart. Do you have a roof on your house? ;)

just rehabbed this house top to bottom fully insulated... except for the attic... ive been waiting for MASS save to insulate the attic for months now. they do it for u off. so no attic insulation... im sure that has a lot to do with it.
i also have 2 stoves going. house is about 2500 sq ft.
also havent turned on the oil once. i try to keep the stoves cooking a bit at night to heat the 2nd floor while we sleep... tough with little kids. its been a battle with the wife all year.

i think 2 more should do it to get me through april, then once mass save does their thing ill be sure to get 5-6 tons next year at the summer prices.

Wow! 4 tons? That's a lot of pellets to go through so far. How large is your house and what temps are you keeping? We just went through our first 1 this weekend and have 4 more to go. We've been using it pretty liberally to as OldMountVernon said, "to make room" for other pellets. I don't know where you would find those prices for pellets right now around here. I heard the Menards in Ohio are having crazy sales! The cheapest I've seen is in the big box stores or TSC stores right around $214/ton. If you want to spend a little more, Pellets Direct in Uxbridge has a really good selection. Good luck! At the pace you're going, you'll only need another 4 tons to make it through the winter, with the coldest month coming up!

CdoubleZ said:
i also have 2 stoves going. house is about 2500 sq ft.
also havent turned on the oil once.

Gotcha. My houe is a bit smaller (1800 sq ft) and only one stove and fully insulated. I've turned my furnace just once to make sure things still work, just in case.

With the past two nights near zero and not having to cave to the furnace, I think we'll be able to make it through the season furnace-free!

Try HD again, they are $195 a ton in Littleton NH. I'm also wondering, is 2 tons enough? You're about 1/2 way through the heating season and have the coldest months ahead of you. I would get 4 tons, and then keep your fingers crossed.

Tom C.

Status
Not open for further replies.