purpose of door seal

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bull

Dec 7, 2008
south east ky
what is the purpose of the seal around the doors on a fireplace insert. top has it but the bottom does not should i install a new one .

the bull said:
what is the purpose of the seal around the doors on a fireplace insert. top has it but the bottom does not should i install a new one .

The model of the insert, or some pics, would be helpful here.

pen

The purpose is to seal the door. The doors lessen the amount air into the firebox. Do the doors seem to make an good seal. One way to test the seal is with a stip of paper. Put a strip of paper betweeen the door and the frame and close the door. If the paper gets stuck you have a good seal. If your insert was designed with out a seal, you shouldn't put one on!
Are you able to achieve an overnight (6hr) burn?

some i can others burns out before morning , it has some seal on it the bottom has fallen of you can here it drawing through the door . does this keep it from drawing good . also at the stove hook up from pipe to stove should i seal the metal to metal , would this make it draw more. it is a direct connect .

Sounds like a very old setup. These things can kill you if your not careful. Do you know anyone more knowlegable than youself that can look at your set up?

Status
Not open for further replies.