Put a fork in it, the hearth is finally 100% done!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

raybonz

Minister of Fire
Feb 5, 2008
Carver, MA.
This past Saturday I finally finished the hearth by grouting the red oak trim to the porcelain tile. Attached are a few pics so you can see the up-close detail. I think it came out pretty good :)

Ray
2012 05 21 001 (Medium).JPG2012 05 21 002 (Medium).JPG2012 05 21 003 (Medium).JPG2012 05 21 004 (Medium).JPG

I don't know, Ray, I may need to see some more pictures. Can you rent a portable electron microscope for the weekend? ;lol J/K, it looks terrific! Rick

I don't know, Ray, I may need to see some more pictures. Can you rent a portable electron microscope for the weekend? ;lol J/K, it looks terrific! Rick
LOL Thanx Rick seems to show more pics than I posted.. :) Just trying to capture the detail of the grout to the oak.. Macro mode worked pretty well ;). I was worried I'd mess up the grout to be honest!

Ray

Ray has been a busy man.

Yup Dennis got alot accomplished this past weekend! Feels good to get things off the "list"!

Ray

Looking good Ray. Now, how about those gutters??
Thanx Jags! Gutters? I think you lost me on that one lol..

Ray

Thanx Jags! Gutters? I think you lost me on that one lol..

Ray

If your anything like me - your gutters need to be cleaned, but very low on the priority list.

I don't know Ray, I think you need wood putty in the nail holes. Get the list out again.;) Looks great. I thought you used slate for some reason.

Reactions: PapaDave
If your anything like me - your gutters need to be cleaned, but very low on the priority list.
No gutters here Jags! :) This home is a Gambrel style and I find it doesn't need them.. I do have some large rocks that the roof water runs onto to prevent any washout and that works well here..

Ray

I don't know Ray, I think you need wood putty in the nail holes. Get the list out again.;) Looks great. I thought you used slate for some reason.
I am on the fence about that as that never seems to match correctly. I probably will see if I can see something that matches.. Good idea!

Ray

Looks really nice Ray!

Ok, Ray, we saw the close-up electron-microscope view(nice work). Now how about a wide-angle picture to show the entire setup??

Ok, Ray, we saw the close-up electron-microscope view(nice work). Now how about a wide-angle picture to show the entire setup??
I will take a pic but it really looks the same from a distance hence the close up..

Ray

Hi Ray

Nice colors on the tiles!

I am almost done with my hearth. I bought some slate tiles but they were different thickness so I just returned them and got midnight color porcelain tiles too!

See > > https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads...in-nice-day-for-raised-hearth-building.76358/

I made the channel in the overhang for rope light and I want to make a wood door for the storage compartment in front.

Also a metal L strip for the front corner would prevent digs when loading and cleaning on the front wooden edge like my other hearth. > https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/need-suggestions-for-wood-pellet-stove-hearth-repair.66487/

What do you think?

Looks great Ray, soon it will be time to get it dirty.

zp

Hi Ray

Nice colors on the tiles!

I am almost done with my hearth. I bought some slate tiles but they were different thickness so I just returned them and got midnight color porcelain tiles too!

See > > https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads...in-nice-day-for-raised-hearth-building.76358/

I made the channel in the overhang for rope light and I want to make a wood door for the storage compartment in front.

Also a metal L strip for the front corner would prevent digs when loading and cleaning on the front wooden edge like my other hearth. > https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/need-suggestions-for-wood-pellet-stove-hearth-repair.66487/

What do you think?
Thanx Don the tiles are very similar and your hearth looks great! I was concerned about the wood trim getting damaged so I went with red oak.. Miss burning already here!

Ray

Looks great Ray, soon it will be time to get it dirty.

zp
Thanx Zap! Oh it gets dirty but I keep it clean :)

Ray

Looks good Ray, are you moving the stove to a new spot or just redoing the area where it is now?

Thanx Don the tiles are very similar and your hearth looks great! I was concerned about the wood trim getting damaged so I went with red oak.. Miss burning already here!

Ray

Thanks Ray

The hearth is for the Enviro Meridian stove in my shed so that is why I am a little slow to finish it. That is a good idea about using Red Oak!

The shed was 65.8 deg F for it's lowest temperature this morning, even though the outside got down to 59.5 Deg F. I guess that Insulation and foil I threw in helped a bit.

See pics > Shed Roof Thermal Relief for Winter/Summer

https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/shed-roof-thermal-relief-for-winter-summer.84824/

Looks good Ray, are you moving the stove to a new spot or just redoing the area where it is now?
Thanx weatherguy! I removed the original blue stone hearth as it had shifted heaving the mortar plus it was too small to accommodate my new stove. The hearth has 2 layers of Durock Nexgen followed by porcelain tile with thinset mortar between all layers and each layer screwed separately to the sub-floor. I used progressively longer cement board screws to ensure I penetrated through the previous layer and into the subfloor. The stove is in the same location with a larger hearth. I have posted pics a while back showing the removal of the original hearth and the building of the new hearth. I will take a new pic of the setup this weekend and post it here.

Ray

Status
Not open for further replies.