Put aside the OAK and get some Black Birch

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Agree with all the accolades for black birch. It is my choice for stoking the fire first thing in the morning, because it gives off quick heat. Dead limbs are great for kindling.

I'm back to using Black Birch for the arctic temps. Friday night I tried to use 2.5 yr seasoned White Oak and I was surprised on how long it took to get going. There were signs of the wood sizzling for about 1/2 hour and then it started to take off. Yesturday I said I'm going back to the 2.5 yr seasoned Black Birch and I tell you, this stuff is priceless. Takes off quick and at the end of 10 hours in my stove I still have large glowing coals in the back of the stove.

I am onto a minty smelling Black Birch stash and couldn't be happier. It is invaiding my sister in laws property and she wants it gone.
imag0040-jpg.68160

Reactions: ScotO
I am onto a minty smelling Black Birch stash and couldn't be happier. It is invaiding my sister in laws property and she wants it gone.

love that minty black birch, brings memories of being in the woods in the winter and snapping off a green black birch twig to chew on.....one of those little things I love about hunting deer in the cold of winter. Great firewood too!

Status
Not open for further replies.