Put hand in woodbox...Ouch!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Stax

Minister of Fire
Dec 22, 2010
Southeastern PA
Was gathering a load of locust from my woodbox when all of the sudden I felt a very sharp pain in the palm of my hand. I dropped all of the wood and looked down at my hand. Wouldn't you know...friggin bee stung me. Must have been hibernating in that box for a while.

Firewood Box Finish.jpg

That, and poison ivy, is why I use my loading gloves/welding gloves not only to load, but to retrieve the new load of splits. And usually at least a long sleeved shirt.

Reactions: ScotO and Thistle
Was gathering a load of locust from my woodbox when all of the sudden I felt a very sharp pain in the palm of my hand. I dropped all of the wood and looked down at my hand. Wouldn't you know...friggin bee stung me. Must have been hibernating in that box for a while.

View attachment 91070
I found several of them hybernating in my starter stack (stacked under the back eave of my tool shed) back in November....I picked up a couple of splits and threw them on my arm, and after carrying them up to the house found two lone yellow jackets! Weird......

I've gotten stung a couple times loading splits out of the shed. Now I too wear gloves.

Being allergic to bees, I am pretty careful to look where I grab. My last sting sent me to the hospital and it was while stacking wood in my old woodshed. I knew that there was a golfball sized nest in the rafters but I kept stacking closer and closer until one came down like lightning and zapped me in the forehead.

Status
Not open for further replies.