Put my 3.2 cf Beast to the test yesterday

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dafattkidd

Minister of Fire
Dec 11, 2007
Long Island
I had a long work day, and my wife was out of the house all day so I took this as a chance to test my insert on a full load. Thought I'd post the results.

I fully loaded the stove at 7am with locust and oak onn a good coal bed from the overnight. By 7:30 it was over 600 shut all the way down.
Returned home at 8:30 pm. The house was 65. Stove top at 225. Opened the door. Raked the coals around. Threw some splits on there. In less than five minutes I had ignition.
(outside temps yesterday ranged from mid 20s when I left. Reached a high of 30, then back to the mid twenties when I returned)

I was very happy with this. 13 1/2 hour burn. I was most impressed with the house temps my house is very drafty. I love my new Osburn. It is a beast.

nice... go head wit your fatt self! Thats a great long burn time! Nice to come home to coals rather that a cold restart.

Sounds good, D !!!

Nice to know you have the fire power !

I am jealous of that burn time..... That sucker sounds like a monster when compared to my little tiny stove.

Franks said:
Yup, when the folks here preach "go big or go home" there is a reason. Thats a great burn time.
+1 - nice!

I hear ya---I'm learning alot in this forum!!!

This gives me confidence upgrading to the new Woodstock stove is a good thing. I think the firebox is going to come in at near 3.0 cf.

Funny, I remember pre-EPA stove thinking was to buy a little small and run the stove extra hot. New thinking is that bigger is better.

I agree bigger is better, however the smallest pre EPA stove was waaaaay bigger then the biggest EPA stove. My Nashau was 5.4cuft and my neighbors stove is over 10cuft.

however the smallest pre EPA stove was waaaaay bigger then the biggest EPA stove.

Nonsense. There were plenty smaller models of pre-EPA stoves. We have one heating our greenhouse that's under 1 cu ft.

Hmmm must not been as common as the others. Those Bucks, Fishers, Nashuas and the like were all big stoves.

Many more than Nashuas. With millions of units out there, the Jotul 602 was/is one of Jotul's best selling stoves. The Fisher Baby Bear was under 2 cu ft., Buck model 26000 was on the small side too. The Vermont Castings Resolute was under 1.5 cu ft. Intrepid even less. Some people had small houses in pre-EPA days, same as today.

GAMMA RAY said:
I am jealous of that burn time..... That sucker sounds like a monster when compared to my little tiny stove.

I had a 1.7 cf napoleon 1101. I loved that stove. It put out good heat, however I am thrilled with the upgrade. Especially with the cold winter we've been having. I'm sure your saving tons of money in heating fuel, and keeping the house warmer than ever with your Englander. I've only heard good things about that stove, and sounds like your gaining tons of knowledge here on the hearth.

Status
Not open for further replies.