Put up half a cord of shagbark hickory yesterday.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

burntime

Aug 18, 2006
C'mon hunting season!
OK, I only have about 3 cord for this coming winter that was stacked last summer. I just put up a half a cord of hickory that was split last fall or early winter. Think it will be ready? I have the other half a cord to split plus a cord or so of ash that I know will be good to go if I get on it soon!

A year or a bit more is usually enough time to season Hickory.If its not full rounds over 5"- 6" or large splits.Has less moisture than most all Oaks,still more than Ashes though.

Its been a while since I burned it. I do remember its like burning concrete though, burns slow! Yep, will get out there in the next week depending on the rain to finish it. The stuff stacked has been split for a while. The rest is in 16 inch logs. Some of it split in half only...

If it were me, I would not plan on it being ready. Just through the summer usually is not enough time for hickory from what I remember. It has been quite some times since we burned any but I'll never forget just how great the wood was! Nope, I'd plan on waiting another year on this stuff even if it is split small. Of course, you might try just mixing some in with the other wood.

Thats what I was thinking but its gonna get a lot of sun and wind. We will see. Either way I have enough ash to split that for sure will be ready! :)

If you end up needing it for next year, just burn it last,
the longer it's out there thru next burn season, the dryer it'll be.
Winters seem to dry wood quick.

Status
Not open for further replies.