Putnam Lake (Brewster), NY Chimney Fire

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gpcollen1

Minister of Fire
Oct 4, 2007
Western CT
I guess the fun begins - this one very local for me. Not sure of what actually happened here but I expect more of this to come for sure.

http://www.lohud.com/article/20081022/NEWS04/310220023/1205/NEWS0408

PUTNAM LAKE - Firefighters extinguished a chimney blaze last night that spread to the roof of a home at 256 Lake Shore Drive in the Putnam Lake section of Patterson.

Firefighters from Patterson, Brewster and New Fairfield, Conn., assisted. There were no injuries.
Advertisement

Rob Marturano, 36, who rents the home, said he had built a fire on a wood stove about 9:30 p.m. His son Anthony, 10, said he smelled smoke, Marturano said. When he opened the kitchen, he said, a plume of smoke escaped. Marturano, his wife, Anthony and a second son escaped, as did their dog and a cat. Two cats remained missing last night.

Putnam Lake Fire Chief Jimmy Gagliardo said a bird's nest in the chimney may have contributed to the fire.

CTwoodburner said:
Rob Marturano, 36, who rents the home, said he had built a fire on a wood stove about 9:30 p.m. His son Anthony, 10, said he smelled smoke, Marturano said. When he opened the kitchen, he said, a plume of smoke escaped. Marturano, his wife, Anthony and a second son escaped, as did their dog and a cat. Two cats remained missing last night.

Putnam Lake Fire Chief Jimmy Gagliardo said a bird's nest in the chimney may have contributed to the fire.

1) I'd make sure it wasn't 2 cats stuck in the chimney.
2) he'd get better draft if the fire was IN the stove.

Adios Pantalones said:
2) he'd get better draft if the fire was IN the stove.

Maybe it was a downdraft stove??

Someone needs to study up on the "Top Down" starting method!

CTwoodburner said:
Rob Marturano, 36, who rents the home, said he had built a fire on a wood stove about 9:30 p.m.

He built a fire on a wood stove?
I thought you build the fire in the wood stove not on it.
That could be his issue. :)

Is it me...? That official statement was vague, at best. The wording left a lot of not so clear descriptions of what went on. "when he opened the kitchen"....what did he open? a side door of the house to the kitchen? a door within the house to the kitchen? And also as mentioned above, "he built a fire on the woodstove". That could lead to all kinds of trouble. Gheez! did this reporter pass the 7th grade english class?

So I take it the birds nest ignited, lifted up with the draft then alighted on the roof starting the fire? HUH! I guess it's always a good ideal to frequently glass your chimney with a mirror before you touch off those 1st fires of the year if you hadn't cleaned it that is. If it was a bad chimney that allowed the fire to start in the attic then catching the roof on fire the fireman would have ID that right away with all the continuous mandatory training they get. If they said birds nest ...you can take it to the bank.

Spark arrestor screens are a good thing. So are brains. Rick

Status
Not open for further replies.