puttin the wood to a seton? do you think it can be overfilled?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

2.beans

Minister of Fire
Mar 22, 2008
new hampshire
just wondering how other people are filling theres. if you dont fill it to the top are you still getting the same burn times? it seems to me that on weekends when im around i can heat my storage with less wood because im adding slowly to the fire. maybe its all in my head?

Nope, I don't think it's in your head. With my EKO I can typically keep hotter/quicker fires when I load a small amount at a time. The coal bed is usually much bigger when I do partial loadings. A full load is great for those days I can't tend it several times but like you say, on weekends, I prefer to pop in every couple hours and keep a really hot fire going with small loads...

It is kind of hard for me to tell now because most of my good dry wood is gone. It seems like 2 or 3 large (14") rounds will burn as long as a full firebox if they are dry. I am burning some standing dead popple now that is not quite as dry as the maple I burned all winter. Because it is a bit damp, I am mixing with dry wood and sometimes I get a nice long burn and other times it seems to burn fast.
Next year I will have more good dry rounds, mostly birch and maple, as this is what my greenwood really likes.

Status
Not open for further replies.