Putting a brick facing on a fireplace face that will get very hot

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Woodburner13

Oct 2, 2008
WI
I have just had a Cozy Heat 231Z installed and want to put a brick facing on the installation which will get very hot. The installation instructions say that any material covering the surface of this fireplace must NOT come in direct contact with the unit or cracking of the face material will occur. How do you install face material on this unit?

Not sure about your unit specifically, but when I did mine we made the cumbustable sheeting flush on the sides with about a 1/4" gap and the after we had the stone on we put mortar right against the fireplace front. When burning it the stone doesn't get that hot, good and warm but not hot at all. Here is a link to the thread on my install with pics. Hope it helps.

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/22413/

I have just had a Cozy Heat 231Z installed and want to put a brick facing on the installation which will get very hot. The installation instructions say that any material covering the surface of this fireplace must NOT come in direct contact with the unit or cracking of the face material will occur. How do you install face material on this unit?

Are you talking about applying a facing over the metal front of the unit itself? If so I dont think that is a very good idea at all or anything the manufacturer would condone. Maybe I have misread or misunderstand the question.

My dealer installed screen mesh over the metal face of the 231Z and said that noncombustible material could be placed over the mesh. But I am concerned that the facing/mortar could crack, especially at the juncture of the drywall around the unit and the hot stove.

Status
Not open for further replies.