Putting a OWB in a shed?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wvwoodchuck

Jun 14, 2009
WV
How many of you have put a OWB in a building or put a roof over the stove? I'm considering it, but weighing the pros and cons of doing it.
If you have, would you post a pic of it? Or send me a link to where is was posted before?

This forum is awesome. I spend more time on here than out cutting wood like I should be doing. :)

Thanks.

Most guys in Upstate NY with an OWB end up putting at least a canopy up so the wood stays ice-free and rain/sleet/snow don't go down yer plumbers' crack when yer loading.

That's why I was considering one. The snow is cold on the crack. :)
One of my concerns was sparks coming out if my blower was on. I don't want to burn my shed down if I build one.

A township close to me has made a requirement for all new OWB installations to be placed in some form of shed. My insurance company allowed me to have my EKO40 in the garage then cancelled after 4 years. Attempts at getting a new ins. co. were denied because you can't have an OWB in a building. Life has many interesting turns and there are time it is easy to see that the one hand does not know what the other is doing.

I've seen lot's of them bulkheaded through a 3 sided enclosure. The loading area is inside and the stack is outside. One suggestion if you do. Make your ceiling height at least 10 feet. This allows most of the smoke to get up and away from you when you open the door to check or load.

Status
Not open for further replies.