Putting a pipe through an exsisting hole once used for a kitchen stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tknuth63

Jan 22, 2007
I have a fireplace that has had a woodstove in it for at least 3 seasons and has worked fine. I am intrested in moving the woodstove out of the fireplace and putting it on the opposite side of the chimmney, which is in my kitchen. There is an exsisting hole in the wall there that I presume was once used for a wood cooking device. The wall in question has brick on the lower half and then where the chimmney begins to taper they put a plaster and lathe wall straghit up. The hole is thorough the plaster and lathe and seems to be about a 1-2" masonry hole into the chimmney.

My question is can I just put regular uninsulated stove pipe through that hole or do I need to put insulated pipe in? Also, would a wall thimble be needed in this case.

Any information people could provide would be helpful.

Thanks

"can I just put regular uninsulated stove pipe through that hole "

not if it's plaster and LAITH, tear away the plaster and laith to get the proper clearance to combustables, exposing just brick, then run single-wall.

btw, if you're burning wood (vs. coal, pellets, etc.) you'll want to make sure that the "hole" goes to a separate flue to avoid out-of-controll chimney fires.

You very well may not even be able to use this chimney....you should have it inspected. Maybe the hole goes into another flue built into the same structure.

But, just FYI, chances are that something is not up to snuff. Just because something was done in the past does not mean that it meets current codes and safety specs. Have it inspected by a certified sweep.

The hole is thorough the plaster and lathe and seems to be about a 1-2” masonry hole into the chimmney.

I hope you mean 1-2 FEET. There is no way you will vent a wood stove through a 1-2 Inch hole.

FWIW, when we took down the fireplace chimney we found 3 additional takeoffs, some just plugged with a coffee can and plaster right against wood. Thank goodness we never ran that chimney without a liner.

First I would want to know the condition of that chimney. Second is it even lined. At that point them good advice could be rendered

Status
Not open for further replies.