Putting cast iron pans IN stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ducky

Nov 4, 2010
Buffalo, NY
I have a cast iron pan that I didn't get to sandblasting this year. As a result it's super dirty, rusty ect...

Can I put it in my wood stove for say, 10 minutes to clean it?

I took a couple rusty cast iron skillets that we got at an auction and threw them right in the wood furnace we had at a previous house. Left them in there all night. In the morning the fire had burned down far enough that I could reach in with a glove and pull them out. They still needed a final cleaning which I did with steel wool. They are now nicely seasoned and I use them regularly.

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
We actually cooked in a dutch oven in our stove a few times. So, yes.

I have a cast iron pan that I didn't get to sandblasting this year. As a result it's super dirty, rusty ect...

Can I put it in my wood stove for say, 10 minutes to clean it?
Hell Ya.That's how I cleaned my mother's sixty plus year old cast iron fryers caked with years of grease.Put them in the stove and start a good fire over night.Next morning the crud is nearly gone and just scour off the remainder.

Hell Ya.That's how I cleaned my mother's sixty plus year old cast iron fryers caked with years of grease.Put them in the stove and start a good fire over night.Next morning the crud is nearly gone and just scour off the remainder.
Given the size of cast iron skillets and fryers, scaled against the size of the average woodstove firebox, how did you arrange the pans and wood?

Given the size of cast iron skillets and fryers, scaled against the size of the average woodstove firebox, how did you arrange the pans and wood?
At the time I had the PE Summit.Put the pans in first face up and put the splits on top and light up a Supercedar.That's it.I did two good size pans at a time.

Reactions: Ashful
At the time I had the PE Summit.Put the pans in first face up and put the splits on top and light up a Supercedar.That's it.I did two good size pans at a time.
Cool. This is one for the memory banks. I'm sure it will prove useful, someday.

I normally use electrolysis for cleaning stuff like this, which does a fantastic job, but can be messy and slow.

I have a steel enameled roasting/baking pan (small) was going to put in the self-cleaning oven, next time I ran it. Can't see why putting it in the stove wouldn't be just as effective.

I have a steel enameled roasting/baking pan (small) was going to put in the self-cleaning oven, next time I ran it. Can't see why putting it in the stove wouldn't be just as effective.
Just less controlled.

Put them in stove 1 at a time if they will fit. Or if you have a bbq put in there if they will fit,

For sure this is one of those old time fixes that really works.

At grandpa's house I remember sitting and watching him start a fire in the back yard and then putting the crusty cast iron cooking gear on the top of it and burning the crusty crud off.

Status
Not open for further replies.