Forum User Hint Putting images into your forums posts

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

webbie

Seasoned Moderator
Nov 17, 2005
Western Mass.
Using images in the Hearth.com Forums

Uploading a Picture to a Post

There are a few different ways of uploading a picture to a post. To insert a copy of a picture from elsewhere on the internet just click on the small tree picture icon. This will bring up a pop up where you can insert the link to your image, then click on "Insert".

A typical link to a picture elsewhere will have a format similar to:
https://www.hearth.com/images/harmanadvance.jpg
That, for instance, is a picture of a pellet stove currently on our front page!

You can find the image address (URL) of most pictures on the internet by control-click (mac) or right click (windows) and then "copy image location" or "copy image url" from the pop-up menu.

To upload a picture from your computer click on "Upload a File" button to the right just below the post bit. This brings up a pop up where you can click "Choose File" and browse your own computer for the picture you want. Note that you can upload more than one at a time by using shift-click or control-click....different methods depending on your computer and browser.

Once uploaded you can choose whether the Thumbnail size or Full Image in the post. In the case of larger pictures, it is best to use the thumbnail option.

We have allowed fairly large picture and file sizes - however, it is best if you resize and crop your pictures prior to uploading since many digital cameras and scanners create very large file sizes.

What the average person needs is an “Image Management Program” - which may already be on your computer.

If you are a PC user, you can use Windows built-in picture management or download a free program like Picasa - This will organize and store all the photos on your disk and also allow you to export smaller copies (for web, etc.) and to even fix the photos up a bit!
http://picasa.google.com/

Apple users already have an image management program, iPhoto, which comes with every mac. To prepare web photos in iPhoto, simply select the photo or photos, go to Export, choose "JPEG", "HIGH" and "LARGE" and export the photo to your desktop or elsewhere - note that you can rename it as you export it.
Screen Shot 2012-06-01 at 8.30.57 PM.png
With Picasa, it is pretty much the same thing.
http://support.google.com/picasa/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=11067

If you are a user of Photoshop or Photoshop Elements, use the “Image Size” dialog bx to convert your photo to 72 DPI and approx. 1000 pixels wide (the height will work out automatically) - then use “Save for Web” and try jpg “high”, file size should be quite small. Of course, don’t save changes to the original picture since you still want that big on your computer and for your archiving and storage.

Screen Shot 2012-06-01 at 8.37.23 PM.png
Another pic here shows the Photoshop Image Size dialog box, with the correct downsizing pixels entered.

There are also some decent online picture resize tools. An example is at:
http://www.picresize.com/

Experiment a bit and you will soon be uploading picture picture images to the Hearth.com Forums!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi, Why when I choose upload picture, don't I see the option to insert thumbnail or full size?

You'd need to give more info - are you using a computer or a pad/phone?

It should look like the below once you actually select the pics and upload them...see the buttons that say thumb or full image? Do you have them...
Screen Shot 2012-11-17 at 7.58.15 AM.png

EDIT: More Options button for file uploading in new layout:
Screen Shot 2015-12-19 at 8.55.19 AM.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Why can't I just copy and paste a photo from my iPad to here?

Why can't I just copy and paste a photo from my iPad to here?

I don't use an ipad, but photo copy and paste doesn't work......that way. I just tried with my mac......

What you CAN do is copy the imagine LOCATION (URL) and then use the little insert imagine icon in the toolbar above (looks like a globe with a wire below it).......and paste in the URL. Like this:
SpaceStation.jpg

On the ipad you can copy an image link as:
Hold your finger down on an image, wait for the menu to pop up, choose "Copy" and you already have the link in the clipboard to paste anywhere you would like it to go.

What about pictures I took with my iPad that are just in my picture folder, anyway for me to post those.

Cool thanks

If you are taking shots with your cellphone, take it with the phone horizontal, home button on the right. We're getting a lot of phone postings of stoves showing up sideways lately.

Last edited:
If you are taking shots with your cellphone, take it with the phone horizontal . . . but if you take the picture vertically please be sure you are sitting on a milk crate. We are getting a lot of phone postings of stoves sideways lately.

I fixed your quote. ;)

Reactions: BIGDADDY
Any idea how to delete a an image from your gallery? Like a newbie I posted a question to the media gallery and now I can't figure out how to erase it...

Thanks

I am trying to upload a quick video and I keep getting an error has occurred message "the uploaded file does not have an allowed extension. EAAC83F5-9CE0-4609-9D73-04D52210FF80.MOV ... any suggestions? posting from my iPhone and my Mac gets the same error

Let me check. We made some changes and maybe .mov was dropped

try again, can you give me screen shot of the error