Putting on the Nomex to ask this one about Kozi 100

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

restorer

Aug 16, 2006
Salt Lake City, Utah
Have a chance to buy a non-automatic Kozi 100 for the shop. Rated at 40,000 Btu and a 50lb. hopper. This is larger and much higher output than my other two stoves. What I'm asking for is any constructive comments. This is strictly an economy question. It's very cheap. Has a jammed auger, or needs an auger motor. I'm handy enough to repair or replace, but what's the group opinion. I keep my stoves very clean, so that shouldn't be an issue. Both the Jamestown and Avalon have served me well, but the extra Btu's would work better in the shop.

So blast away, my heat shields are in place.

Going to look at it, tomorrow evening (Monday 5th) so, quick responses will help.

If you are embarrassed to comment in Public, PM me,
Thanks

the guy most qualified to answer your questions is Hearthtools The most important issue is parts availability.

I I scotty do we really need the shields?

MountainStoveGuy said:
whats the price?
could you get a new cheap charlie for close to the same price?

He's asking $200, but is negotiable. Plus gas for the 140 mile round trip. Don't think I can touch anything for that money. Said it worked fine until one morning the auger wouldn't turn. Shut it down and bought an Englander. Didn't want to mess with it, was going to buy a new stove anyway at end of Season, so he moved it up a few months.

Going to stop at a pellet manufacturer on the way and buy a 1/2 ton to experiment with. No other pellets readily available and I might need a few, if we stay cool/cold through April, like they are predicting.

Unc, You can't beat the price. How much is a auger motor? Sounds like a road trip too me. :coolsmile: Quick

Too late, deeds done. Did the road trip just got back, nice family, nice stove, may only be a major clog in the auger.

hopefully that's it, would be a major score for you good lucj and keep us postyed

Unc, You lucky dog. Let us know how it works out. Quick

if its a "top feeder, it may just be loaded with fines, if simple, i'd just pull the auger and clear it , test the motor , if its ok you just got a steal! pretty good unit from what ive heard

I appreciate the responses, although I would have felt more confident if they would have come before the meet. There is nothing I could find on the net other than promotional stuff and the listed sales at 1,000 to 1,800. I'll get back this weekend when I have time to tear it down and see the issues. Got bills to pay this week.

Thanks for the support,
UR

UncleRich said:
I appreciate the responses, although I would have felt more confident if they would have come before the meet. There is nothing I could find on the net other than promotional stuff and the listed sales at 1,000 to 1,800. I'll get back this weekend when I have time to tear it down and see the issues. Got bills to pay this week.

Thanks for the support,
UR

hey rich,
give me a shout if ya run into problems, i dont know the system well but i'll help ya as best i can

I pulled the auger motor. One lead was off the terminal, but may have been removed by the former owner when he checked it. What I found was the auger was plugged solid. both the bottom and top bushings were full of fines. Besides that when t was taken out of the house and put in the shed it got exposed to a lot of water. The auger had serious rust. The baffle plates below the heat transfer tubes and around the fire box are stainless, but showed a lot of staining, and the SS burn pot needed attention. Used electrolysis on the stainless and had a friend bead blast the auger. That left a more polished surface. Everything is back together, but I haven't run a test fire yet. It's still in the back of the van. It weighs in at 250-275lbs and I haven't been able to get a hand. Wonder why? Saturday going to get a friend to help me in exchange for breakfast. Great place around the corner from the shop that's cheap. Both my neighbors have been out of town this past week, so I couldn't get help there. Did plug it in, had all motors running and got the warning lights blinking that the hopper was dry. That was a really good sign.

The friend that did the bead blasting has a manual fork lift. Think he said it handles about 500 lbs. Slick to use, we stacked two nine ft showcases at his shop and not a grunt from either of us. I am starting the search ASAP.

When I bought the stove based on the problem the owner described I thought I would have to replace at least the auger motor, maybe the auger, if bent or torn up. I wasn't sure the blowers would be in good shape, but they seem fine. With the change in weather I probably won't install until late Summer I want to build a platform 24in. high to mount it in the shop. Going to relocate the ambient air cleaner and use it to push the heat around. I need to move one pipe for the dust collector and find a new home for a set of shelves that are where the stove will go. May even get inspired to repaint the stove, likely PE-whorehouse red.

BTW, I had a curious experience with emails to Kozi. The first email was pretty basic, gave them the model number and serial number and asked if the on-line manual applied to the stove with the exception of the auto-ignitor,what the date of manufacture was, and a few minor questions. Got a one liner back:"Not our stove." Sent a follow up and described the WH and Man label and the make and model number on the front with a few questions, like where do I get parts and where are the nearest dealers. The reply to that was, "Order parts from us." Not sure they have the right person answering email questions. Was really put off by the responses. I think I can get stock parts here, rather than try to deal with them. I have two well stocked stove stores and a distribution center here, plus a Graingers. Think I will be OK.

Unc, Sounds like a little TLC and you have it running. There is a Kozi stove co. and a Kozy stove co. , maybe that is what is going on with the guy doing the e-mails. Best of luck, Quick

Status
Not open for further replies.