Putting silicone in exhaust pipe for the Santa Fe

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

geek

Minister of Fire
Feb 28, 2008
Central CT
this question may sound silly but I am ready to put silicone in the pipes, but noticed that the appliance adapter collar is inside the back panel of the stove, how can you effectively put silicone there if the end is not exposed out of the panel? (panel not easy to be removed)

the back panel does come off, you need to expose the collar, then tape the appliance adapter on, not silicone it.

does come off?
hmmm, don't see just an easy way..

Well, it used to. I was just going over the current manual and it seems that it might have changed. The manual shows the collar outside of the steel skin of the stove. There used to be access back there. Can you get to the collar with the sides open?

what sides you refer to?

I don't have picture now but guess will need to post one later tonight to show it here.

I can't visualize what your saying, but I believe you need to put a bead of silicone on the inside of the appliance adapter then slide it onto the stove. If this is Duravent Pro, I would also fill in between the inner and outer layers of pipe to eliminate the chance of smoke spillage from the pipe. Pics definately would help.

the appliance adapter has a nice taping flange, if you glue it, its a real PITA to get off later, you will not be able to disassemble anything that you glue with red RTV.

I called a dealer and the sales guy talked to the installer, he said do not push the appliance adapter all the way in and to use a couple screws to secure the pipe and then seal with silicone.

ok, use that advice. If you seal it, it takes damn near a act of god to get it off for cleaning. If you hire the advice givers for cleaning... then no worries!

An 1/8" bead should be sufficient and will allow it to come apart without too much trouble. I silicone every one I put in and usually have no trouble getting them apart. Good luck

balls of fire said:
An 1/8" bead should be sufficient and will allow it to come apart without too much trouble. I silicone every one I put in and usually have no trouble getting them apart. Good luck

but the thing is about how the exhaust pipe is located in the stove, its collar is inside the back panel, so once the pipe is pushed in it is more difficult to effectively apply the silicone and run your finger through, you know?

Maybe I'm still not gettin' it, I am pretty thick someday's! I would put the silicone on the inside of the the appliance adapter and then slide it onto the stove exhaust collar. This seals 99.9% of my installs including Santa Fe's. Let me know if my skull is getting thicker! lol Maybe I'm still not gettin' it. Just tell me too shut up if i'm confusing the situation.

My freestanding santafe has the exhaust collar that extends out about 1 in from the back panel. Of course my stove it a couple of years old now.

geek said:
....but the thing is about how the exhaust pipe is located in the stove, its collar is inside the back panel, so once the pipe is pushed in it is more difficult to effectively apply the silicone and run your finger through, you know?

Geek, I think we need a pic or two of your stove exhaust pipe situation before we can understand what you mean.

ok, maybe I'm getting this more confused than what it is.... :)

The exhaust pipe comes out of the back cover about an inch, maybe two. Since the appliance adapter needs to be connected onto the exhaust pipe this will extend inside the back cover, this is where my question came to place.

I thought/think that the silicone must be applied to this "end" where the appliance adapter pipe "meets" the body of the stove and because of that it would be difficult to place the gun and apply the silicone due to the small area around the back cover where the ex. pipe comes out.

However, based on your feedback (thanks guys...!!!) it looks like I can just apply silicone on the exhaust pipe and THEN slide my appliance adapter on it, this should seal fine, right?

Hope you guys follow me now..... :)

geek said:
.....However, based on your feedback (thanks guys...!!!) it looks like I can just apply silicone on the exhaust pipe and THEN slide my appliance adapter on it, this should seal fine, right?

Hope you guys follow me now..... :)

I understand now. Yes, you could do that, but IMO, I'd put the silicone inside the appliance adapter about an inch, and then slide over exhaust pipe. That way, all the silicone is contained inside....no messy beads sticking out.

Remember, you are not supposed to slide the appliance adapter on as far as it will go.....just a little less than when it bottoms out, then drill 3 holes around and secure with screws. Test fit the adapter first/drill holes ahead of time, and mark the pipe where you have to stop.

mac,

if I apply the silicone INSIDE the appliance adapter, won't the silicone push and land INSIDE the exhaust pipe (sort of like "scraping" the silicone from the adapter due to the pipes going against each other and being tight to each other, would that be ok?

in any case, do you guys apply the silicone about an inch of the tip of the adapter in a circle around ? (you mentioned an inch)

think i got it....sorry for all silly questions but this is my first install.....just want to make sure i do this correct..!!

thanks.

geek said:
.....apply the silicone about an inch of the tip of the adapter in a circle around ? (you mentioned an inch).

That's what I do....seems to work. The silicone doesn't have to be real thick, just enough to fill any gap between the pipes.

Here is my story. I sealed my adapter to the stove, then sealed the first pipe to the adapter on the outside. Well there is a opening on the stove end of the adapter where smoked leaked out. I had to seal the first pipe on the inside to stop the smoke leak. I guess I could have sealed the opening on the stove side of the adapter but that would have defeated the purpose of the air gap.

phew....finally finished.......will try to post pics in another thread.....

Status
Not open for further replies.