Putting the new husqvarna to work

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Regency139

Jun 25, 2009
Connecticut
My in-laws decided to have some trees taken down to open up some room at their new house. Thinking they were just going to have a few removed I told my father-in-law to have the tree company leave the trees for me. Well as you can see they removed more than a few. Time to get to work!

Attachments

• chainwood.jpg
    chainwood.jpg
    174 KB · Views: 224
That will keep you busy 4 awhile. What are the different types of trees in the pile?

Work Safe
Zap

Looks like a sweet deal! Be careful trying to cut up on that stack since it is easy to lose your footing on loose logs. Even cutting logs down at the bottom can cause shifting and it doesn't take much of a hit from wood that size to do serious damage. Will you be able to perhaps drag logs off the pile with a truck or tractor and get them out in the open before you start cutting on them? A little extra prep time can make a big safety difference.

Reactions: BoilerMan
Like said , be careful.
I like to cut off the free ends then drag a log or 2 out of the pile using the PU.

Sure looks like fun ;)

Think I see some cherry, maple, some type of poplar.
What else in in there, Oak & beech?

Reactions: Nixon and Thistle
Like said , be careful.
I like to cut off the free ends then drag a log or 2 out of the pile using the PU.

Sure looks like fun ;)

I do the same,cut what's easily accessible,then get the log chains,cables or ropes out.

Work safe & have fun.

Looks like a great score! Not to derail, but have you used your 455 much yet? Mine was set up much too lean from the factory, had to take off the carb limiters (carb removal required) so I could tune it to how I like it with out the spark arrestor screen, much more responsive and cuts much better. Also idles much more steadly and consistently.

TS

Awesome score! As others have said, definitely pull logs down with chains or a tow strap. Have fun

Big pile of wood you got yourself there. Is it possible to hire someone with a knuckle boom log truck to cart it home for you? Looks like a full load or more. If you have the space you can have it laid out flat and up on stringers all ready to cut.

wow, merry christmas
that'll keep ya out of trouble for a while

Nice pile , that should break in that new saw real good

Hummana Hummana Hummana!

Either that's a BMF pile of wood or a tiny chainsaw. Enjoy!

You could use up that new saw on that stack of trees. I could call the boys in to help you move them trees with this. You just let me know!;lol
livona_mi-58-189.jpg

Sky crane nice! So far I have three truckloads worth cut, split, and stacked. Two guys from work have already "volunteered" to help me process the wood. No rush though. To top it off when it rains it pours. I had an old oak tree taken down in my backyard yesterday. I think i'm all set for a few years.

Reactions: DexterDay
This is what's left of the tree I had removed yesterday. There was a good chunk of rot at the base of the tree and I didn't want it falling on the house, my neighbors house and shed, or my shed. With all the storms we've been getting it was well worth the cost. The tree guys backed their truck right up to the tree and pieced it out since my septic fields were at the drop zone. Since I'm not one for watching I helped drag the branches to the chipper and the guys helped me out by bucking everything.

Attachments

• lowrestree.jpg
    lowrestree.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 128
Reactions: DexterDay
Status
Not open for further replies.