1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Putting the new husqvarna to work

Post in 'The Wood Shed' started by Regency139, May 2, 2013.

1. Regency139

Regency139 Member

Loc:
    Connecticut
    My in-laws decided to have some trees taken down to open up some room at their new house. Thinking they were just going to have a few removed I told my father-in-law to have the tree company leave the trees for me. Well as you can see they removed more than a few. Time to get to work!

Attached Files:

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. thewoodlands

thewoodlands Minister of Fire

That will keep you busy 4 awhile. What are the different types of trees in the pile?

Work Safe
    Zap
  3. Nick Mystic

Nick Mystic Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Western North Carolina
    Looks like a sweet deal! Be careful trying to cut up on that stack since it is easy to lose your footing on loose logs. Even cutting logs down at the bottom can cause shifting and it doesn't take much of a hit from wood that size to do serious damage. Will you be able to perhaps drag logs off the pile with a truck or tractor and get them out in the open before you start cutting on them? A little extra prep time can make a big safety difference.
    BoilerMan likes this.
  4. bogydave

bogydave Minister of Fire

Loc:
    So Cent ALASKA
    Like said , be careful.
    I like to cut off the free ends then drag a log or 2 out of the pile using the PU.

Sure looks like fun ;)

Think I see some cherry, maple, some type of poplar.
    What else in in there, Oak & beech?
    Nixon and Thistle like this.
  5. Thistle

Thistle Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central IA

I do the same,cut what's easily accessible,then get the log chains,cables or ropes out.

Work safe & have fun.
  6. BoilerMan

BoilerMan Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northern Maine
    Looks like a great score! Not to derail, but have you used your 455 much yet? Mine was set up much too lean from the factory, had to take off the carb limiters (carb removal required) so I could tune it to how I like it with out the spark arrestor screen, much more responsive and cuts much better. Also idles much more steadly and consistently.

TS
  7. WellSeasoned

WellSeasoned Guest

Awesome score! As others have said, definitely pull logs down with chains or a tow strap. Have fun
  8. paul bunion

paul bunion Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NJ
    Big pile of wood you got yourself there. Is it possible to hire someone with a knuckle boom log truck to cart it home for you? Looks like a full load or more. If you have the space you can have it laid out flat and up on stringers all ready to cut.
  9. billb3

billb3 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    SE Mass
    wow, merry christmas
    that'll keep ya out of trouble for a while
  10. HDRock

HDRock Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Grand Blanc, Mi
    Nice pile , that should break in that new saw real good
  11. firefighterjake

firefighterjake Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Unity/Bangor, Maine
    Hummana Hummana Hummana!
  12. Flatbedford

Flatbedford Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Croton-on-Hudson, suburbs of NYC
    Either that's a BMF pile of wood or a tiny chainsaw. Enjoy!
  13. Ralphie Boy

Ralphie Boy Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northern Kentucky along the Ohio River
    You could use up that new saw on that stack of trees. I could call the boys in to help you move them trees with this. You just let me know!;lol
    livona_mi-58-189.jpg
    BoilerMan and HDRock like this.
  14. Regency139

Regency139 Member

Loc:
    Connecticut
    Sky crane nice! So far I have three truckloads worth cut, split, and stacked. Two guys from work have already "volunteered" to help me process the wood. No rush though. To top it off when it rains it pours. I had an old oak tree taken down in my backyard yesterday. I think i'm all set for a few years.
    DexterDay likes this.
  15. Regency139

Regency139 Member

Loc:
    Connecticut
    This is what's left of the tree I had removed yesterday. There was a good chunk of rot at the base of the tree and I didn't want it falling on the house, my neighbors house and shed, or my shed. With all the storms we've been getting it was well worth the cost. The tree guys backed their truck right up to the tree and pieced it out since my septic fields were at the drop zone. Since I'm not one for watching I helped drag the branches to the chipper and the guys helped me out by bucking everything.

Attached Files:

DexterDay likes this.