putting together rigid liner question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mtaccone

Jan 18, 2008
schenectady, NY
I have 6" single wall 304L rigid pipe. I used steel pop rivots to put the sections together as all the stainless pop rivots that I got were complete crap. Will this work before I go dropping this pipe in the chimney? I have a top plate that should sit on top of the clay tile but what do I use to secure the pipe at the top of the chimney? Probably shoulda asked all this before doing things but I like going backwards. Thanks in advance

I think they use stainless parts to prevent corrosion down the road. We have never had any prob with stainless rivets when using the duraliner products. The kits we get for the duraliner have a top clamp that holds the pipe from falling down the chimney.

This wasnt a kit it was single wall rigid pipe for $90 shipped on ebay. The rivets I got at home depot were crap and didnt feel comfortable with them as the steel ones would flatten out alot nicer. I will have to keep an eye out for corrosion you are saying? I will get a clamp for the top and put this together as I am burning wood Friday 1 way or another. Now what is the best way to fasten the top plate which is flat to my flue that is sticking out of the chimney or should I grind off the 6" of flue tile and mortar the plate in?

LOTS of silicone caulk and stick the plate down. Clean off the plate and other surface as best you can first.

Status
Not open for further replies.