Putting up a tree

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

skyline

Burning Hunk
Oct 29, 2009
Oregon
I know I know, it's easier to take a tree down than put one up, but not impossible and I thought I would share and give everyone a new project.

I had a couple of blow down cedars on my property and thought they might make a good bird perch if I could put them back up.
So I skinned them, drilled some holes, insert a few branches, borrowed a friends excavator and put it up.

It's been lots of fun and the results have been great.

Attachments

• DSC_2709.jpg
    DSC_2709.jpg
    14.9 KB · Views: 452
  • DSC_2730.jpg
    DSC_2730.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 451
  • DSC_2743.jpg
    DSC_2743.jpg
    15.4 KB · Views: 461
  • DSC_2805.jpg
    DSC_2805.jpg
    10.8 KB · Views: 448
  • DSC_5372.jpg
    DSC_5372.jpg
    9 KB · Views: 469
  • DSC_2784-large.jpg
    DSC_2784-large.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 452
  • DSC_7705.jpg
    DSC_7705.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 467
Wow great job ! Looks like the raptors love it.
How deep did you plant that thing to get it to stay ?

Wow, that is friggin awesome, way to go and Congrats on the results. In my University days treeplanting was my summer job. Kinda prepaying all the trees I have gone on to cut and use for various reasons.

About 6' with a little gravel and a few bags of cement. Used a narrow 12" bucket so it could only go one way.

To be honest, I had to take it down after the first raise and cut 15' of the bottom as it was too tall to see the branches unless you were right at the window.

skyline said:
I know I know, it's easier to take a tree down than put one up, but not impossible and I thought I would share and give everyone a new project.

I had a couple of blow down cedars on my property and thought they might make a good bird perch if I could put them back up.
So I skinned them, drilled some holes, insert a few branches, borrowed a friends excavator and put it up.

It's been lots of fun and the results have been great.

I was going to be a pain and say someone has too much time on their hands, but after seeing the pics with the hawks on there..........wow! Very worthwhile project.
Now, those guys can just sit there looking for dinner.

Thats Awesome!

Great project! Looks like 6 Mourning Doves, 1 Redtail, 1 Coopers Hawk, right? What else have you seen on that tree?

That's just to cool, great job.

zap

Double post and it's still way to cool.

zap

If I put that on my property,it would be filled with turkey vultures. I think they are cool.

2 out of 3 ain't bad, with a name like Wood Duck no wonder. The picture of 6 birds are band tail pigeons, a close up below.

I'm a newbie to birding but it has been fun. Try these.

Attachments

• DSC_8834.jpg
    DSC_8834.jpg
    16.4 KB · Views: 316
  • DSC_2762_2.jpg
    DSC_2762_2.jpg
    14.9 KB · Views: 325
  • DSC_5195.jpg
    DSC_5195.jpg
    18 KB · Views: 328
  • DSC_4657.jpg
    DSC_4657.jpg
    17.1 KB · Views: 324
  • DSC_4790.jpg
    DSC_4790.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 334
  • DSC_8209.jpg
    DSC_8209.jpg
    12 KB · Views: 315
  • DSC_3206.jpg
    DSC_3206.jpg
    15.9 KB · Views: 311
  • DSC_4667.jpg
    DSC_4667.jpg
    16 KB · Views: 330
Very nice.
Great pictures

Too cool . . . and great pics . . . looks like a great spot in the world to live.

Holy cow that's pretty incredible ...thanks for posting these gems. Did you ever think about putting up a web cam?

Skyline that is a good project and it looks as if it turned out really well.

A year ago we had a neighbor do the same thing....sort of. He did it so he had a place to hang his tree stand for hunting. It worked and now the birds have taken over.

Savageactor7,

I looked into a web cam, motion activated, etc... but the details, time to hook up etc just moved it farther and farther down the priority list.
And I happened to home the first day after putting it up when along came 10 western blue birds, 8 of which you can see in that 2nd pic above. I had never seen any before or since so everything else has just been gravy after that.

I primarily did it for the red tails which hang/hunt in the air close by. They used it the first week it was up which was really cool but they are very wary, always looking back at the house.
Any movement or noise inside and they will take off, but I can drive by them within 20' on the road and they have no problem. Go figure.

The next one will go a little farther away.

skyline said:
2 out of 3 ain't bad, with a name like Wood Duck no wonder. The picture of 6 birds are band tail pigeons, a close up below.

I'm a newbie to birding but it has been fun. Try these.

Ok, here goes: American kestrel; Bluebirds, based on location I'll say Western Bluebirds; Brown Headed Cowbirds displaying; Stellar's and Scrub Jays, sitting together; Red Breasted Sapsucker; Sharpshinned hawk, Mourning Dove, Bandtailed Pigeon.

Ok, here goes: American kestrel; Bluebirds, based on location I'll say Western Bluebirds; Brown Headed Cowbirds displaying; Stellar's and Scrub Jays, sitting together; Red Breasted Sapsucker; Sharpshinned hawk, Mourning Dove, Bandtailed Pigeon.[/quote]

A perfect score for Wood Duck but I'm just a beginner.
The only question I would have is the Sharpshinned hawk vs. a Cooper's but that is what I thought at the time and I think you got the other Cooper's right on the first batch of pics.
I was surprised to see the Stellar Jays taunting the Cooper Hawk (within 3 ft. consistently) playing catch me if you can.

Here is the first perch I put up as a test case and the results.

Attachments

• DSC_0298.jpg
    DSC_0298.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 175
  • DSC_0868.jpg
    DSC_0868.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 168
Status
Not open for further replies.