Putting up wood for 2015/2016 - nice score w/pics

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NH_Wood

Minister of Fire
Dec 24, 2009
southern NH
A nice guy at work is clearing a decent sized woodlot on his property for horse pasture. He knows I like cutting wood, so asked if I'd like some of the wood that he's taken down (there was a lot - too much for him to process alone). Of course, I said yes. I called him last Thursday night and asked if I could cut on Friday. Showed up on Friday at 8:30 - chewed the fat for about an hour, and then cut and stacked brush for him until about 2pm. Here's the kicker: all the trees were limbed and lying on the ground - clean. I just had to walk up, block, and haul to a pile for pick up. Managed to block up a couple red oak, one beech, a red maple, and a couple small black birch poles. Took the weekend off and on Monday I spent about 4 hours hauling loads (only about 6 miles away, but being easy on the Tacoma). Split Monday night and Tuesday morning, and stacked Tuesday afternoon and finished this morning - even had enough time to clean up the area before rain hit at about 1pm. Here are some pics: first pic is the whole pile split, second pic is two new pallets of red oak and beech and the start of a third, last pic is one full pallet of red maple (with red maple kindling for a cover!). The two oak pallets are definitely for 2015/2016, but I'll likely use the red maple as shoulder season wood next year or the year after. If the weather holds, I might have few more cord in me this week. Cheers!

Edit - pics are out of order, but you get the idea!

Attachments

• IMG_3264_copy.jpg
    IMG_3264_copy.jpg
    183.5 KB · Views: 545
  • IMG_3268_copy.jpg
    IMG_3268_copy.jpg
    174.6 KB · Views: 589
  • IMG_3269_copy.jpg
    IMG_3269_copy.jpg
    167.4 KB · Views: 557
Now those are some nice looking pallet stacks. That wood split nice and clean too!

Great looking stacks.
Bet that feels good to be way ahead.
Lots of nice big overnight splits :)
Good job!

Sweet score! How big are those pallets? Mine are normally 48" x 40". Looking at how you cross stacked the corners and filled the gap either your pallets are bigger or split lengths shorter.

Got Wood said:
Sweet score! How big are those pallets? Mine are normally 48" x 40". Looking at how you cross stacked the corners and filled the gap either your pallets are bigger or split lengths shorter.

Yep, pretty much same sized pallets. I've been cutting shorter splits - about 15" or so, for the cribbed corners and anything longer goes in the gaps - the center gets the uglies. The oak was beautiful straight-grained trunks which allowed me to make a lot of blocks to make the stacking very easy. My pallet sit for about 4 years, so I take a little extra time to make them straight and tight. Cheers!

All the splitting with the Fiskars in the photo?

NH_Wood said:
Got Wood said:

Yep, pretty much same sized pallets. I've been cutting shorter splits - about 15" or so, for the cribbed corners and anything longer goes in the gaps - the center gets the uglies. The oak was beautiful straight-grained trunks which allowed me to make a lot of blocks to make the stacking very easy. My pallet sit for about 4 years, so I take a little extra time to make them straight and tight. Cheers!

I figured you had shorter splits. I find it even harder to get a stable stack with the shorter lengths. I have a wide variety of lengths but try and keep my top length at 20" (The FPX 44 has a huge firebox). I run my stacks 3-5 pallets long using the 40" as the width, cross stack the ends always and for the longer stacks I usually add a cross stack in the middle (why? thinking about it.... cant come up with a reason). I also put the real shorties and uglies in the middle.

Anyhow, nice looking stacks and a great score! Good luck getting out again soon!

DanCorcoran said:
All the splitting with the Fiskars in the photo?

Dan - no, I quartered the rounds in the woods with the fiskars to make hauling them to the pile easier, but used the splitter to make the final splits. Cheers!

And just think, with the Holiday time off, you can gather even more wood! Good for you.

Backwoods Savage said:
And just think, with the Holiday time off, you can gather even more wood! Good for you.

Dennis, funny you mention that.......just read an e-mail from the same gentleman at work, and he offered about 3 other guys and myself a firewood cutting party. So.....perhaps in the next couple weeks I'll be able to pull another cord or two from his property. I'm heading out in the morning to buck a couple white birch and red maple - should be at least a cord. Thanks! Cheers!

Sounds like fun!

We have an artist competition every year called "Art Prize" . If you entered those stacks, they'd win. Well, I'd sure vote for 'em as would probably most folk here. Good job!

Gark said:
We have an artist competition every year called "Art Prize" . If you entered those stacks, they'd win. Well, I'd sure vote for 'em as would probably most folk here. Good job!

Thanks Gark! The wood sits so long, I like to have the stacks look nice - I spend WAY too much time just walking through them and pulling out splits to feel how dry they are getting. I have a serious wood issue! Cheers!

It looks like your stacks all angle to the center just a little on all 4 sides. (Pyramid kinda)
Is that for a more stable pallet stack or camera angle just look that way?

bogydave said:
It looks like your stacks all angle to the center just a little on all 4 sides. (Pyramid kinda)
Is that for a more stable pallet stack or camera angle just look that way?

You got it Dave - it's on purpose - the slight lean keeps the stack tight. Good eye! Cheers!

Queue up that 80s song...Stack like an Egyptian

:lol:
SolarAndWood said:
Queue up that 80s song...Stack like an Egyptian

Status
Not open for further replies.