Q&A;Old Shenandoah stove used as furnace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Macho Chef

Hearth Supporter
I've got an old house with a Shenandoah stove jury-rigged by French Acadians in Northern Maine. What they did was to place a metal shell over the barrel-type Shenandoah stove. They hung a blower/thermostat on the side of the shell and attached the forced-air ductwork to the top of the shell.

According to our local hardware store, people have been doing this for generations.

Anyway, some years ago the previous owners disconnected the ductwork and redirected it into an oil-burning furnace, which we currently use to heat the house. The former setup is still there.

What I want to do is reconnect the wood-burning system (instead of using oil) to the ductwork and route the exhaust out the side of the basement with an electric vent of some sort.

Do the experts think this will work?

Macho Chef said:
I've got an old house with a Shenandoah stove jury-rigged by French Acadians in Northern Maine. What they did was to place a metal shell over the barrel-type Shenandoah stove. They hung a blower/thermostat on the side of the shell and attached the forced-air ductwork to the top of the shell.

According to our local hardware store, people have been doing this for generations.

Anyway, some years ago the previous owners disconnected the ductwork and redirected it into an oil-burning furnace, which we currently use to heat the house. The former setup is still there.

What I want to do is reconnect the wood-burning system (instead of using oil) to the ductwork and route the exhaust out the side of the basement with an electric vent of some sort.

Do the experts think this will work?

Will somone go over to Elk's place and pick him up off the floor!
:lol:

Better talk to your house insurance company, first.

Status
Not open for further replies.